Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Iv got the dvd cd downloaded from the net,there are two folders on the dc,i know nothing bout linux so i cant help you guys with info,both are i think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    FM1
    Just Joined!

How do i install mandriva linux 2007

Iv got the dvd cd downloaded from the net,there are two folders on the dc,i know nothing bout linux so i cant help you guys with info,both are i think image files,with release notes in the folders.

when i put the cd in and reboot the pc,the mandriva screen appears,when i press the installation button it goes to another mandriva blue screen and starts installing into memory after that it asks me to reboot,then nothing appears on the hdd and i get no results.
    how do i install this os,

Hi - It sounds like you might have a Mandriva 'live cd' or 'live dvd' ... in which can it's designed to run from your dvd or cd drive. Those distros can be installed onto your hdd. Not sure why things would fail if you followed the normal procedure for doing that.

Most distros are installed by burning the ISO files onto a disk (which I think you've done) as 'bootable ISOs'. There's a trap waiting for new users which is that it's possible to just copy the files as 'non bootable files' ... You therefore need a bit of knowledge before you start working (though not much).

To install, you then need to boot directly from the dvd or cd. To do this you generally boot your machine and - watching the screen carefully - hit delete when prompted to do so. This will take you into your BIOS where you need to alter the boot order of your computer to boot from your dvd drive first.

Sounds more confusing than it really is. It's not too hard but needs some familiarity with computers and how they work in general.

So ... just downloading the files and burning them onto a disk won't always work. Look at the software you're using to do this. Is there an option for burning 'bootable image files' to a disk? That's the sort of thing you need.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

FM1
    Just Joined!
    You right bout everything so far,but when i follow the steps,boot from cd,come onto the mandriva screen,hit the installation but,then the next screen is a blue screen where it standings,installing into memory with a bar running,after that i get an error message and asked to reboot,after rebooting im back to square 1 where i have to install again,if i click boot from hdd nothing happens,pls help

whats the error message?

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

FM1
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    whats the error message?

casper
    Dont remember,as im installing it at home.usually comes up at the bottom

we can help you after checking error message only. there can be several reasons for installation faliure. bad .iso burn, chipset incompatibilty etc...

casper

... and often a poorly supported video card is the issue, but devils_casper is quite right. Make a note of the error message itself and post it here.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

FM1
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    ... and often a poorly supported video card is the issue, but devils_casper is quite right. Make a note of the error message itself and post it here.
    okay will do,will post 2moro,but im running a nVidia Gforce FX5200 128mb

FM1
    Just Joined!
    if you guys check this link out its the installation of mandriva,the first screenshot i see after that i dont see the second screen shot,it goes to a screen where it installs to memory then it bombs after that

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mandr...de-37819.shtml

i checked the link you provided. it might be graphics card problem but we can suggest best solution after checking error message only.

casper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast