Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi im justa about to gual boot mandrake one with windows xp. mwindowsis running on a 120gbdrive. i recently was given a new hard drive so fort i would use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting Help

Hi im justa about to gual boot mandrake one with windows xp. mwindowsis running on a 120gbdrive. i recently was given a new hard drive so fort i would use it to boot mandrake. im new to dual booting as you see and was wondering what i should do. the end result im looking for is to have an option in startup of either choosing linux or windows.

During installation tell it to format the new drive (be careful not to format the windows drive!), and install mandrake there.

When it asks about installing a bootloader, tell it to install it to the MBR. There should be an option to let it know that windows is on the other drive, but if there isn't, don't worry -- just let us know and we'll tell you how to add windows to the list.

Good luck!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

sim
    Just Joined!
    Hi

I've just gone through a very similar process (see thread here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...ndows-xp.html). I unplugged the windows drive while I installed linux just to be in the safe side. Then you can plug it back in and add the stuff to the configuration file (either grub.conf or menu.lst depending on your distro) and the device.map file and Bob's your auntie.

Good luck

Cheers
    Sim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by SliGuy
    Hi im justa about to gual boot mandrake one with windows xp. mwindowsis running on a 120gbdrive. i recently was given a new hard drive so fort i would use it to boot mandrake. im new to dual booting as you see and was wondering what i should do. the end result im looking for is to have an option in startup of either choosing linux or windows.
    unplug Windows disk and install Mandrake on other disk. accept default options in Boot Loader section. after installation, follow instructions given in this thread.

sim already referenced other thread (not correctly linked.. its this one)but it has a long discussion and a bit confusing too.... dual boot is very easy and nothing confusing and complex in setup... just follow instructions......

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First