Find the answer to your Linux question:
After a few months to let my anger and frustration subside, I've decided to have another go at this Linux thing. Again, I fall at the first hurdle: internet connection. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm back........to square 1

After a few months to let my anger and frustration subside, I've decided to have another go at this Linux thing.

Again, I fall at the first hurdle: internet connection.

I'm running a dual-booting, 3.4G/1gig ram machine with a Netgear wireless router and WIIIGIT usb adaptor.

I downloaded Mandriva 1 and used the live disk option to mess about with Linux. When I do a hardware scan my network adaptor is listed as a scanner. If I could get connected to the web, I could fix any and all further problems online and not have to whine on Linux forums about my lack of connectivity

NDisWrapper is no use to me at this stage because I can't get my usb adapter to be recognised for what it is.

Surely my problem is not exclusive to me?

Thanks (and hello again)

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Hi Paul and welcome back!

You're right. Without Internet you're going nowhere fast.

I had a Linksys wusb54g that wasn't recognized at all so I understand your frustration. Regardless, I proceeded to install ndiswrapper and the Windows driver from the cd. After a little configuration I got it working satisfactorily. It might be worth it for you to do the same thing if you still have the drivers on the cd that came with the device. Another possible option if that doesn't pan out is to just fork the cash over for an adapter that is known to work. You can pick up a Netgear MA311 pretty cheaply. I still use these cards and have been pleased with their dependable performance. The drivers for them are included in most all distros. Sure, it's 802.11b but at least you'll be on the Internet.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

Dapper
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Is the USB wireless device the only way you have of getting online? Perhaps you could go wired for a while, and use that to investigate your problem more efficiently?

I realise that this isn't much of an answer to your problem -- sorry 'bout that.

When Linux is good, it's very very good, but when it's bad......

I feel your pain.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

WOOOT!!!111!!!!11!!!! I'm surfing with Konqeror! I'M SURFING WITH KONQUEROR!! *ahem* After months of trying to get my network adapter recognised, I plug in my ethernet cable and bingo! I'm online with Linux It's only temporary, though, because I can't run cables all over the sitting room (rather I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm NOT running cables all over the sitting room!) To enable the plugging in of my ethernet cable, I've had to run an electrical extension from the far away wall in my sitting room so I can have my router near my PC. There's a ADSL extension cable running along side it too, but at least I now know that I can surf with Linux in my house. One step closer to becoming Linux Boy Thanks D.Dan and Smolloy! Pauly

Well done!!!

Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Sorry, I committed a real N00b error by posting on here without searching for a previous post/solution.

A quick Google/other Linux forum search reveals a whole plethora of folks who can't get the Netgear wireless adapter to work in Linux.

I'm gonna change my ISP and my router when the current contract runs out.

then I'll be Linux Boy