Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. A quick query, if I may: If I upgrade to Mandriva 2007 from the 2006 version I'm currently using, will I have to re-install the Nvidia drivers and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

2007 upgrade

Hi everyone.

A quick query, if I may:

If I upgrade to Mandriva 2007 from the 2006 version I'm currently using, will I have to re-install the Nvidia drivers and MP3 and DVD enabling code that I nearly pulled my hair out over the first time round?

Or is it a relatively painless transition?

Thanks, as ever,

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

If you intorduce new package upgrades, but not for all of the packages you will most likely have problems. The nvidia drivers need to be reinstalled any time you update your kernel or for some X server upgrades. This is the trouble with using non standard packages. They provide a lot but the downside is breaking upgrades. There has been a lot of talk on Slashdot and Digg over the last day or so about Ubuntu upgrades being broken.

Basically, it boils down to this.. If you have installed a lot, or use a lot of urpmi repos then you might consider doing a clean install, as the broken dependencies might be too much to try and tackle. However if all of your repos are kept up to date you could always try just going with it.

Thanks for the quick reply, Big Tom.

As I'm newly returned to Linux after quite a while away, I think I'll just stick with '06 for now til I re-aquaint myself with stuff.
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.