Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have the following disk drive setup: I have four drives in my tower: My Linux disk (I wiped an entire drive for this) is at id: disk0s2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot Mandriva and Mac OS X on PPC G4 Tower

Hi all,

I have the following disk drive setup:

I have four drives in my tower:
    My Linux disk (I wiped an entire drive for this) is at id: disk0s2 or Device 1
    I have a Maxtor HFS formatted at id disk1s3 Device 0
    My main boot disk (Mac OS X) is id: disk2s3 Device 0
    My auxillary disk is id: disk3s3 Device 0

I booted using the Madriva Linux PPC LE 2005 3 disc set (I burned the ISOs)

I go through the installation until it gets to the fdisk settings and I click on expert. I select the hdaf disk which corresponds to my linux disk. I set up my partitions and then go to format them and I get the following message:

The first partition is no the partition map

Any ideas why and what to do to fix this?

I'm trying to do this install without destroying my main Mac OS X disk. I have an onboard ATA controller and an extra PCI ATA controller. Are there some jumpers I need to check out?

Also, I'd like some suggestions on the best use of a 120 gig drive as far as partitioning schemes.

Thanks!

Robert

my suggestion is unplug all disks and plug-in the Disk in which you wanna install Linux only. after installation, you can add entries of other distros in boot loader of Linux or you can use any third party boot loader.

installer will create partitions itself. dont bother about that. its good to create separate /home partition though.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First