Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi * If I undestood correctly from man crontab, if there's no cron.allow and cron.deny file, then only root is able to run cron jobs. That's my case. I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cron.allow - add users to cron

Hi *

If I undestood correctly from man crontab, if there's no cron.allow and cron.deny file, then only root is able to run cron jobs. That's my case.

I want to give permission for a certain user to be able to change his crontable, though when this user issues the command crontab -e, it gets:

You (xxxx) are not allowed to use this program (crontab)
    See crontab(1) for more information

Ok. I created an new cron.allow file under /etc (at least, the man crontab points to that direction), and added two lines. One for root and another one to this user, like this:

root
    xxxx

Nonetheless after rebooting the linux box, user xxxx still is not able to edit his crontab, only root is able to do so.

Perhaps the file cron.allow as some nomenclature that I'm not aware of or the specific path to create that file is not under /etc. Just for your info, cron.* directories are all under /etc.

Best regards,
    Nuno

Just Joined!
    ok, I'm going again to answer my question. I also created an empty cron.deny file under /etc. Now it works.
    Sorry about that guys,
    Nuno