Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Bittorrent and Chromium from the installation DVD, but they're nowhere to be found in any of the menus. If I go back into the package installation page, I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Missing packages

I installed Bittorrent and Chromium from the installation DVD, but they're nowhere to be found in any of the menus. If I go back into the package installation page, I'm told that the packages are already installed.

Opening a console and typing the app names comes up blank too.

Any ideas, please? (I'm still a relative n00b)

cheers

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Try tabbing out the names type bit and hit tab for completion. The names just might not be what you think they are. If you don't find that try with a capital B. The same for Chromium.

Thanks. That's a great help. Tabbing for results enables me to find the files and Chromium plays fine. The Bittorrent result is threefold - none of which start up the gui. I'm not expert enough to run the torrents from the command line

Is there a command for instructing the apps to be added to the menu on the desktop, please?

Thanks

Paul

Just Joined!
    As I understand it, you launch BitTorrent by clicking on a .torrent file in a File Manager window or web browser link. If you installed it via the Software Manager (or urpmi) it should have set up the necessary file associations.

Alternatively, you can run it from command line by typing something like: btdownloadgui.py somefile.torrent

If you want something fancier (GUI wise) you need to install a BitTorrent client (e.g KTorrent, Azureus, Transmission etc.)

HTH
    Terry

Thanks guys.

I'm going to try to get Azureus working later on. I use BitComet over on the DarkSide, but I've so far not managed to run a Linux version.

Paul