Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi! I loaded new 2007 Mandriva on my daughter's laptop (Gateway); I have no sound at all ( ATI sound card - SB450 Azalia HD audio) ; when I tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question sound on Mandriva 2007

hi! I loaded new 2007 Mandriva on my daughter's laptop (Gateway); I have no sound at all ( ATI sound card - SB450 Azalia HD audio) ; when I tried to open System-Configuration-Packages-Instal... I found error message " impossible to run unnown "install" program;
    Can somebody help me , please !!! This laptop is a birthday surprise...
    Thank you!

Just Joined!
    You can ignore the "impossible to run unknown program" error. It is a problem with the Menu Entry in KDE which calls the install program. You can still select the "Look at installable software and Install software packages" from the control centre screen.

Just Joined!

thanks!

thank you! neverus! do you have any idea about sound?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I was hoping you wouldn't ask that

Did it ever work (maybe on a previous release or under Windows) ?

Have you checked the obvious things like Volume Control (both in software KMix and any physical controls on the laptop) ?

Next fire up the Mandriva Control Centre (System -> Configuration -> Configure your computer) and select "Look at and configure the hardware". Check to see if the sound card has been recognised and a driver loaded for it.

You can also go to the KDE Control Centre (System -> Configuration -> Control Centre) and choose Sound and Multimeduia -> Sound System. Make sure that is enabled and there is also a button to play a test sound.

Sorry if you've done all this already but those are the first steps I would take.

Sometimes my Mandriva 2007 boots up with a message about not being able to load the sound card driver. Something about not having permission or such like.

I just re-boot and it's usually ok.
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

SyN
    Just Joined!
    I had some issues with sound as well when I first installed.
    The above steps are indeed the best place to start, but you might also check under sound and ensure your digital out put is not checked, on install it auto checked it for me and I could not get sound untill i removed it.

I forget the path to it since Im not in front of my system, but it might help.

I have NV Free 07 installed on two desktop macines and have had the same error message on both at boot about not having permission to open some sound driver or other. Both times I've just re-booted and it's fine. It's never happened since.
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Just Joined!

problem solved!

thanks to the Mandriva Club guys!
    new updated kernel for laptop - this is solution
    thanks everyone!