Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm not an experienced Linux user. I'm using Mandriva One 2006. I've put it on my PC and everything's working fine till I had an idea to update my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Updates don't work!!!

Hi. I'm not an experienced Linux user. I'm using Mandriva One 2006. I've put it on my PC and everything's working fine till I had an idea to update my OS and get some software (need PHP5, MySQL, Apache, XMMS....). So In the control center I've opened the Media Manager and choosed an update server. The application started to download smth (hdlist.cz and etc.). But when the download was finished, a small window appeared with the text:

"Unable to add medium, errors reported:
    unable to import pubkey file of "Main Updates (Official2006.0-2)""

I've tryed it with about 15 servers, but the result was the same.... I've even tryed to do it trought the console, but anything's working propertly - I got out several data base errors, errors and errors.................................

So help me to get these damn updates and the software which I need on my Mandriva ONE!!!!!

Hi - do you still get errors if you add databases using easyurpmi? Have you had any problems surfing the web using Firefox? If you haven't tried Firefox yet try it ... I have something in mind.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    I've tryed to add atabases using easyurpmi, but I GET ERRORS!!! And I don't have any problems to surf the web with firefox. So what???

Just Joined!
    P.S. I'm connected to the internet trought a proxy server.

I have a suggestion ... it involves using a terminal (command line) and you'll need to be root before you can make this change. It might work ... It did for me when I had a similar problem.

Become root:

su
    <enter_password> then cd to the /etc directory like this:
    cd /etc

The file you want is called modprobe.conf . Open this with a text editor. I use Kate or VIM. For example type:

kate modprobe.conf

Add these lines ...

alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

Save the file, and exit. Try to run urpmi from the command line again to update your software ... I would do:

urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select

This might help ... Let us know what happens.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    I did. THE RESULT:

[root@localhost tintix]# urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - (-30977)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    Can't call method "traverse_tag" on an undefined value at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/i386-linux/URPM/Signature.pm line 91.

I started to download the Mandriva One 2007 iso... Maybe the newer version will run the updates without errors...

Hmmm haven't seen that error before!

Edit: You might try rpm --rebuilddb This might be a corrupt database??!