Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, i've seen many posts on this but i'm n00b and need it spelled out for me.... need my nvidia drivers...using free version....don't have kernel source installed (i'm assuming it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel source (n00b)

ok, i've seen many posts on this but i'm n00b and need it spelled out for me....

need my nvidia drivers...using free version....don't have kernel source installed (i'm assuming it's something like nvidia has to rebuild it upon install ?!?!...dont' really care what it needs it for, just want to get it working).

the kernel is kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.x86_64 from what i've been able ot tell. that's my version adn that the 64 bit one....

i can't find the source, and even if i did i wouldnt' know what to do with it....lol.

the kernel is NOT in the rpm packages....serarched both names and discriptions....

help?

Hi - The kernel source files should be on your installation disk. Mandriva doesn't install them to your hdd by default. It should just be a case of going to the Mandriva Control Centre (under 'configure your computer') and finding the relevant package(s).
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    my searches for "kernel" have turned up 4 pkg's.....the accuall kernel, the docs explaining it, and two other ones that are not the source..... it's not on the disks i'm assuming if that control center didnt' come up with it.
    a few other posters had teh same problem, it wasnt' on teh disk. but none had the same kernel as i do, so i'm not sure what to do

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hello there

If the kernel source files aren't on your disk then you have an incomplete distro! Did you install from a CD?

Do you have any repositories added for Mandriva 2007? This needs some knowledge of urpmi which is Mandriva's package management system. Presumably if you add all the correct repositories then the source will be available for your driver to build itself.

This should eventually be a command like:

urpmi kernel-source

Which should add the kernel source to your system from a Mandriva repository.

Really then, your starting point should be to learn about adding repositories and learning all about urpmi. Check out easyurpmi

::EDIT:: A couple of extra mirror sites - in addition to any official ones you find - are Seer of Souls and the PLF. These sites are good for extra drivers, interesting software and just plain fun.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    so urpmi is the core program that the gui contol center is using? (guessing by what i'm seeing on those sites). pkgs (rpms) (this i knew!!! yeah!) are precompiled, meaning i don't need to do the long list of installation steps. just somehow run them with urpmi? the easy urpmi site gave me a few mirrors for download, but what exactly am i getting ?
    i appologize for being nub, and thank you for the help, i have SOME experience with WINE and really want those nvidia drivers installed. but the kernel source seems to be holding me back, that and the fact that i'm currently broke adn can't afford anything but the free version ...yea for computer upgrades

from what i understand, the retail copy has the drivers on it

EDIT - yes, installed from 4 cds (3 plus some odd last one)

When you go to easyurpmi you get a list of commands to run to enable extra repositories. You just copy and paste the commands
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    AH, cool!
    I have one question remaining, i did a fresh install, kinda starting over, and going slow as to not screw things up,
    what is the normal way to install an rpm package that i download... (in xterm or whatever)?
    meanwhile, i'm going to check everything else out, and get everything else i need working first, video card last.

Just Joined!
    ok, was going to install all the things on teh urpmi site...,have urpmi installed according to the package manaager thing, but the commands they use don't work, urpmi is not valad......wtf, this is getting fruterating, if i can get this nvidia driver installed i'll never go back to windoze again >< gaming was the only thing holding me back,
    tell me one of you has a fix, vista is going to be awful, that's coming from someone who can get a legal FREE release copy.....

EDIT : got that working (su'd it, forgot only root could do it)
    next step : what's a repository adn which ones do i need to get the kernel source or whatever to install the nvidia drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by greatkingrat
    ok, was going to install all the things on teh urpmi site...,have urpmi installed according to the package manaager thing, but the commands they use don't work, urpmi is not valad......wtf, this is getting fruterating, if i can get this nvidia driver installed i'll never go back to windoze again >< gaming was the only thing holding me back,
    tell me one of you has a fix, vista is going to be awful, that's coming from someone who can get a legal FREE release copy.....

EDIT : got that working (su'd it, forgot only root could do it)
    next step : what's a repository adn which ones do i need to get the kernel source or whatever to install the nvidia drivers?
    Yes you can only install rpms as root. Installing packages is usually just a case of being root and typing - for example - urpmi package_name ... If it can't figure out what you mean it usually gives you a list to choose from out of the package database.

As for your nvidia driver, even when it's installed you won't just be able to run any game you like using WINE ... But there are games which will run on Linux. The repositories are mirror sites all containing the same packages. The idea is to have reliable sources of software. Eventually you end up with a set of favourite mirror sites (I work near to mine!) for getting security updates etc. If one site goes down urpmi will try to find another one from your list.

Also - about nvidia drivers - there are open source drivers supplied with your distro which should work, but also proprietary ones from the nvidia site which will work using Linux. Not sure if this is what you're trying to install. Give yourself a little time to learn though. If you go too fast you'll keep tripping over what you haven't learned yet. Good luck!

Just Joined!
    Got the drivers installed finally, learned alot along the way as well

yeah, i understand it's no easy task to get wine running, i've played around with it a bit before. but not much

new issue is kde keeps crashing after i change the style, but i stuck that in a new thread being it's a different issue all together ><

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast