Find the answer to your Linux question:
i recently downloaded mandriva one free 2007 live cd(KDE version). but when i boot from it i find to my dismay that the enable 3ddesktop button in drak3d is disabled. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Enable 3d desktop in Mandriva One

i recently downloaded mandriva one free 2007 live cd(KDE version). but when i boot from it i find to my dismay that the enable 3ddesktop button in drak3d is disabled. it says my graphic card doesn't support 3d. LIKE HELL IT DOESNT! i use an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCI Express VGA.

i checked in XFdrake. it showed that the GeForce 6 series bundled driver was properly installed.

So why am i not able to enable 3ddesktop and Xgl?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE HELP!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You need to get the latest Nvidia drivers for Linux from the Nvidia website. Older Nvidia drivers and the built in NV drivers do not support 3D effects.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    You need to get the latest Nvidia drivers for Linux from the Nvidia website. Older Nvidia drivers and the built in NV drivers do not support 3D effects.
    But doesn't it work with the NVidia drivers bundled with the One CD. XFdrake shows that its usin the bundled GeForce6 series driver. I'll check xorg.conf to make sure that its not usin the nv driver and get back.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by rooot
    But doesn't it work with the NVidia drivers bundled with the One CD. XFdrake shows that its usin the bundled GeForce6 series driver. I'll check xorg.conf to make sure that its not usin the nv driver and get back.
    The drivers bundled with Mandriva One 2007 are the old nvidia drivers. They don't work with aiglx and have issues with XGL. I couldn't get them to work at all so I ended up installing the latest drivers.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    The drivers bundled with Mandriva One 2007 are the old nvidia drivers. They don't work with aiglx and have issues with XGL. I couldn't get them to work at all so I ended up installing the latest drivers.
    Thanks for ur help dark. Now i have two more questions.
    1. Would the drivers bundled in the PowerPack DVD work although the ones in the One CD didnt?

2. I have installed NVidia drivers in Mandriva 2006 so many times but i had problems and had to remove them each time. The main problem im getting is when i restart x after installation it seems that the desktop is LARGER than my monitor's screen. So only part of the desktop is visible. I checked XFdrake and the KDE's desktop properties but both of them show that im using 1024 * 768 resolution. LIKE HELL! do you know why this happening. I tried configuring x to use the nvidia driver manually (editing xorg.conf) without using nvidia-xconfig utility also but nothin seems to work.

PLEEEESE HELP! Thanks

Just Joined!

Solved

Ok i installed the powerpack DVD x64 edition and everything worked fine. It asked me whether to use the proprietary nvidia driver or not. i selected yes. Now Xgl is enabled and im gettin all the effects. So i think the reason for Mandriva One CD's 3ddesktop not workin is because it doesnt contain the proprietary drivers.

But i must say that im very dissapointed with Mandriva 2007 because when compared with 2006, it contains very little amount of SW. Can you believe even xmms is not included? Although this wont be a matter for most people as i dont have an internet connection at home i think i will stick to my 2006 version.

Thanks for all your help.

The Mandriva One discs will obviously have less software than the full Mandriva Free distro because they are single disc live distros. Mandriva Free 2007 seems to have more or less the same software as previous releases.