Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am running Mandrivia 2007 Free edition on my desktop. I am connecting to my router through a USB wireless device 802.11g. Mandrivia had no problem recognizing it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pls Help! Begginer, Networking/Internet problem, almost there! :)

Hi,

I am running Mandrivia 2007 Free edition on my desktop. I am connecting to my router through a USB wireless device 802.11g. Mandrivia had no problem recognizing it and i set up all the stuff. I can now see my router and am getting a signal strength (85-95%). It says it is connected however when i try to launch a page in any browser nothing loads. My gateway and ip address are correct. I have been playing around with it now for a day and cant work out what could be wrong. My router is 3com ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router (1m old). I have my firewall disabled and do not have to connect with a wep encryption key. There are other pcs on the network connecting to the router running windows. Do I have to change something on my router or upload something for it to recognize linux or something? Or am I just missing something on my network settings.

I tried Ubuntu earlier with my laptop. also could not figue out the wirless. However i got internet to work by running a lan cable from my desktop (wirless, windows) to my laptop.

Once i get this to work I will finally stop using windows (bit sick of it).

Thank you in advance for your support!
    With kind regards
    -Axel

Just Joined!
    Hi,

well im fairly new to linux my self still have some trouble n stuff but yeah, well u say u are connected but ur browser doesnt load, do u have an instant message that u can try to log on to, try to log on to kopete which should of been installed, and if u can log onto the instant messenger, then its a problem with your browsers and not your internet, in that case you could try to download re-install your browsers thru terminal, sorry if i wasnt much hhelp but im still learnin

I hope you don't give up. I had similar problems where my USB wireless adapter was listed as a scanner in Harddrake (!) I just bought a generic cheapo replacement and I've had no trouble since.

I'm now almost exclusively Linux, apart from my video-editing, which I have to use Premiere Pro under XP for.

You've probably done it already, but in my network settings, I have all defaults set to auto and networks to any and it always picks mine up. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

You're so very nearly there - don't give up like I did for almost a whole year.

Good luck, fella

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hey,
    thanks for the feedback so far. Still is not working though. Its not just the internet browsers that are not working. instant messaging and other online services do not work.

as far as setting all my network settings on auto, if i do that it does not even detect my router. the way i have it set up now (manually) it says connected but it really isnt *sigh*

I also have another UBS wireless device and thats not working either. must be my router or settings. strange that this is only affecting me.

ps. i definitely wont give up, i love linux already

Hi - Can you load up web pages if you use Konqueror?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    okay well im still not that good with linux yet but ah try in terminal "set ath0 up" then type "ifconfig" without the quotes, and when you type ifconfig it should give you information if you are actually connected or not i think, and btw what driver did u download for your wireless?

Just Joined!
    Thanks a ton, i will try that when i get back home in sunday morning. as for the drivers, linux recognized and installed them automatically (i think). i installed the ones from the setup cd (had linux drivers) but that didnt change anything.

Hmmm ... seriously, you should try Konqueror. You might think 'Well, if one browser isn't working then none of them are.' This isn't always the case. Though it can be. Firefox has some settings which you might not be aware of yet.

And don't forget to try the ping command. This is a basic way of checking your firewall - for example - but also your connection to the Internet. For example:

ping www.google.com

Okay? We all need ping.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Hey guys! I tried pinging google.com

[genfly@GeNfly ~]$ ping www.google.com
    PING www.google.com (216.239.59.103) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 216.239.59.103: icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=72.0 ms
    64 bytes from www.l.google.com (216.239.59.103): icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=93.7 ms (DUP!)
    64 bytes from 216.239.59.103: icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=109 ms (DUP!)
    64 bytes from 216.239.59.103: icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=125 ms (DUP!)
    64 bytes from 216.239.59.103: icmp_seq=1 ttl=246 time=129 ms (DUP!)
    64 bytes from www.l.google.com (216.239.59.103): icmp_seq=22 ttl=246 time=44.1 ms

Then used Konq to connect to my router... for a sec it connected and said: checking browser then:

An error occurred while loading http://192.168.1.1/login.stm:
    Timeout on server
    Connection was to 192.168.1.1 at port 80

Im so close i feel it

here is my other stuff

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.27
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

What do i do next thx again for the help so far!

Just Joined!
    did u try "set ath0 up" yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast