Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Mandriva 2007 Free DVD Edition on my pc. My PC has onboard VIA KM400A card. My motherboard is ASUS A7V-400MX. Mandriva uses Openchrome driver for my card. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3d desktop with VIA KM400A

I installed Mandriva 2007 Free DVD Edition on my pc. My PC has onboard VIA KM400A card. My motherboard is ASUS A7V-400MX.

Mandriva uses Openchrome driver for my card. It says that my card does not support 3D acceleration. When I run "glxinfo" in a terminal, the output is something like "X failed request...Major opcode..." etc. etc. I know that usual glxinfo output is something like "Direct rendering : No, Driver : Mesa GLX indirect.." etc. etc.

Is there something wrong with the openchrome driver provided with Mandriva?

I tried using the VIA driver, but the screen goes blank completely and there is no display even if I switch the virtual consoles.

Please help.....

Regards,
    Amol

Just Joined!

Got it!

Problem solved... well not completely!

I found this on Mandriva 2007 errata page. To enable 3D acceleration on VIA chipsets with openchrome driver, following line should be added to "Modules" section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Load "dri"

This enables the 3D acceration.

Now though I have got 3D acceleration working, I can't see any of the 3D effects on my desktop after enabling 3D desktop effects.