Find the answer to your Linux question:
I havs a sagem 800 on Tiscali and understand to make it work with mandriva I have to install eagle-usb. It's not very helpful when before I can get onto ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Eagle usb

I havs a sagem 800 on Tiscali and understand to make it work with mandriva I have to install eagle-usb. It's not very helpful when before I can get onto the internet with linux I have to download it as it can only be downloaded from windows. Being a newbie ok I have downloaded the file to a windows folder. Now I need to know how to find that folder while in mandriva - and most of all to install it. Help would be very much appreciated...

Just Joined!
    Assuming the windows folder is on the same PC it should be available under /mnt/win_c

So if you downloaded it to your"My Documents folder in windows it should be under: "/mnt/win-c/Documents and Settings/your_windows_user_name/My Documents"

As your Windows partition will probably be mounted as ReadOnly it is probably best to copy it to a Linux folder.

As for how to install it .. that depends on what file you downloaded. If the filename ends in .rpm then the easiest way is to open up a console window
    and do:

su
    <enter root password>
    rpm -ivh name_of_file.rpm

(note: this may complain about missing dependencies, if it does, then you've just discovered "dependency hell")

If the filename ends in .tgz or .bz2 then this is an archive file which you need to unpack by opening a console window and doing:

tar xzvf name_of_file.tgz
    or
    tar xjvf name_of_file.bz2

This should create a folder called something like name_of_file so now you can look in that folder for a file called README or INSTALL which should contain instructions on how to install the software.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit daunting but the trouble is that all software has to be paid for. It's just that with Linux you pay with effort rather than cash

Hope that helps
    Terry.

Thanks for that neverus. As soon as I get the time I will attempt that. I really must solve this internet thing as windows can be so unstable at times it does my head in. Like nearly losing an important data file an hour ago and having to rin chkdsc to get to get it back. Oh I like the look of Linux too....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    BTW. You didn't say what version of Mandriva you are using but, as I understand it, the eagle-usb driver (or more precisely its successor ueagle-atm) has been incorporated into the Linux kernel as of 2.6.16. So if you are using Mandriva 2007 (kernel 2.6.17) you should not need to install anything.

If you are using an older version it would be worth opening a console window and typing:

su
    <enter root password>
    urpmi eagle-usb

I don't use this particular driver (or device) myself but the little research I have done on it suggests that is supplied on the Mandriva Installation media.