Find the answer to your Linux question:
im new to linux and i am using mandriva i have downloaded wine 0.9.25 and i have it "installed" however, i still dont understand the setup with the folders, since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandriva and wine

im new to linux and i am using mandriva

i have downloaded wine 0.9.25 and i have it "installed" however, i still dont understand the setup with the folders, since the rpm packager said nothing of it. also, i cant create any folders anywhere except for the /home folder, so how do i even run anything using wine from the command line?

At the command line, type:
    Code:
    wine <name of exe>
    You will want to run winecfg first (also from the command line).

As for folders, as a regular user you can only create and modify files in your home dir.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

I am also running Mandriva 2007 x86_64 and have installed wine.

Unfortunately I get the following errors when I run 'winecfg' from the command line:

Code:
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libXxf86vm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Unknown error (127).
    Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Unknown error (127).
    Specifically, I am asked for libXxf86vm.so.1 which I found in one of the x11 libraries, but but it still doesn't work. Do you have any tips?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Try installing libxxf86vm1 with urpmi (as root):
    Code:
    urpmi libxxf86vm1
    This is assuming you have set up your urpmi sources. If not, go here first to set them up.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

URPMI is set up and working fine.

Code:
    >su
    >[password]
    >urpmi libxxf86vm1
    no package named libxxf86vm1
    This is what I get.

Try searching for something like libxx or xf86 to see what packages are available.

If you can't find it in urpmi, here is a direct link to the rpm: ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/fedora...1-3.1.i386.rpm

*EDIT* You are using x86_64 - that is a Fedora package as I can't seem to find a Mandriva one (should work okay though).

I am not sure if you will need to satisfy dep's but if so, try getting them through urpmi or you will experience rpm hell.

After that is installed, search for libXxf86vm.so.1 to make sure it's installed.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 11-24-2006 at 08:00 PM.

The following packages are available:
    lib64xxf86dga1
    lib64xxf86dga1-devel
    lib64xxf86dga1-static-devel
    lib64xxf86misc1
    lib64xxf86misc1-devel
    lib64xxf86misc1-static-devel
    lib64xxf86vm1
    lib64xxf86vm1-devel
    lib64xxf86vm1-static-devel

It seems that the 'libxxf86vm1' that Wine calls for is 'lib64xxf86vm1' on my system as I am running 64-bit. I tried to install all of these packages, but they are already installed. Strangely searching for files 'lib64' or 'xxf86' or even just 'f86' yields no search results.

I took the RPM package you linked to and I tore it apart and extracted the libxxf86vm1.so I put it into /usr/X11R6/lib/ (the tip for where the lib goes came from here ).
    Instead of copying the whole file a link was put instead. I had to log in as root just to put files in that directory.

Afterwards, I tried the following command, but of course the file doesn't exist (only that link) INFO.
    Code:
    cd /usr/X11R6/lib
    ld --whole-archive -shared -o libXxf86vm.so libXxf86vm.a
    ln -s libXxf86vm.so libXxf86vm.so.1
    ldconfig
    So right now I'm trying to put the file into usr/X11R6/lib...

UPDATE: The two files in the RPM you sent (one a symbolic link the other a shared archive) I put both into the directory, but winecfg still displays the same error. Perhaps I have the wrong directory.