Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a problem booting my MV Free 2007. It's been getting steadily worse and more frequent. Now (tonight) I've had to come upstairs and boot up my spare PC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MV07 boot problem

I have a problem booting my MV Free 2007. It's been getting steadily worse and more frequent. Now (tonight) I've had to come upstairs and boot up my spare PC (also running MV07) to post this.

I choose Linux nonfb mode and the PC just hangs after the 'setting hostname localhost' line. The PC has actually performed this task as there's an OK message at the end of the line. Underneath, there is simply the flashing cursor, with zero keyboard response.

Choosing failsafe mode to boot produces identical results and I gave up on the graphical mode ages ago as it hangs at the start.

Up until tonight, a couple of reboot attempts would get it up and running, but tonight, I've re-booted 8 times. Now I'm upstairs on the old machine posting this and I'm pretty peeved as I've spent hours and hours configuring MV to the point where I'm a whisker away from ditching windows for good. To that end, the thought of a re-install makes me ill.
    The PC in question is a 3.4Ghz/IGbRam/256card/200Gb windowsHD/ and brand new 40Gb Seagate Caviar HD running MVFree07.

Please help?

Thanks as ever

Pauly
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Linux Newbie
    though the idea of installin make u ill....u must do it i gess...probably the files have missed durin installation...so mus do it again

14 re-boot attempts and it's up this time. I'm just gonna have to not switch it off. Ever.

check the log files and dmesg log for possible errors.
    dmesg | less

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Found this:

http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewt...t+problem+2007

It looks like the problem is not exclusive to me

Time for a new distro, I'm thinking. All those hours and hoours and hours of learning, configuring and shaping to fit - all for nothing. Frankly, I'm disappointed that a big player like Mandriva lets its users down so miserably.

Just Joined!

been there

had the same prob with mv07....after weeks of messing with it ive reinstalled mv06....when i did get 07 to boot it had a lot of programs that just were full of bugs....mv07 drove mw nuts.....ive been using linux since man7.2 and mv07 is the worst thing ive seen ......its worse that winme if u can fathom that.....im just sorry i paid 10 bucks for the dvd....well live and learn....

Hi. I'd change distros in a second, but of all the ones I tried, only MV07 and PCLinuxOS can see my wireless network.