Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just uprgraded from Mandriva 2006 (Free) to Mandriva 2007 (Free). On 2006 my scanner worked fine using either Xsane or GIMP. Now that I've upgraded I'm in no end ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Canon scanner N640P on Mandriva2007

I've just uprgraded from Mandriva 2006 (Free) to Mandriva 2007 (Free). On 2006 my scanner worked fine using either Xsane or GIMP. Now that I've upgraded I'm in no end of trouble.

scanimage -L will see the scanner when logged in as root but not as a user. This seems to be a permission problem - but what?

When I try to use the scanner as root using scanimage -T the scanner starts and then stops after about a third of a page, returns to its home postion and hangs. After a Ctl-C I get 'received signal 2' then 'trying to stop scanner'. After another Ctl-C I get 'received signal 2' again and the 'aborting' and I'm back to the root prompt.

I tried uninstalling sane and reinstalling it. Oh boy! the rpm also took out HardDrake and Openoffice. I can understand the HardDrake connection but why Openoffice? So after a reinstallation I'm no better off

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

david-emm

Just Joined!

Re: stops after about a third of a page and hangs

Quote Originally Posted by david-emm View Post
    When I try to use the scanner as root using scanimage -T the scanner starts and then stops after about a third of a page, returns to its home postion and hangs. david-emm
    Had the same problem with CanoScan N 640P on ubuntu 7.10. Just worked around the hang by enabling the debug mode via
    Code:
    export SANE_DEBUG_CANON_PP=4
    in a console window before starting
    Code:
    xsane
    which seems to make xsane even slower than just enabling nibble mode in
    Code:
    /etc/sane.d/canon_pp.conf
    and therefore working.