Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm very new to Linux, I'm trying to ween myself off of Windows... I have Mandriva One, kernal 2.6.something. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. Open GL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed ATI radeon driver - now Linux won't boot

Hi,

I'm very new to Linux, I'm trying to ween myself off of Windows...

I have Mandriva One, kernal 2.6.something.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card. Open GL was only running in emulated mode, (verrry slowly) so I downloaded this driver from ATI's website:
    http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...ux-radeon.html

I installed it all ok, and ran the 'aticonfig --initial' command. I then restarted, but Mandriva will not boot. It goes through the whole bootup process (where you can press Esc for verbose), then the screen goes blank and it hangs. If I press ctrl-alt-del, the screen comes back and it goes through the shuts down process.

I guess I should really uninstall the ATI driver, but I don't know how to do this when I can't get into the GUI. I can get to the command prompt.

Any help much appreciated. Please don't assume I know anything - I've been finding Linux commands pretty confusing!!

Thanks,
    Neil

Just Joined!
    If you really want to uninstall the driver and you can get to the command prompt then do:

cd /usr/share/ati
    sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh

(you need to be root to do this, so if you are at command prompt as a user then you need to "su" first)

However, before uninstalling it would be worth having a look in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to see if there is an obvious error (look for lines beginning with (EE) )

I had a similar problem and found that it couldn't load the driver because it needed libstdc++ version 5 installed. So I just installed that and it worked fine after that.

HTH
    Terry

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. At least if I can uninstall it then I can get back into linux.

I think there is a problem with libstdc++ - I was trying to install firefox 2 and kept getting a message that it was missing. In the end I managed to upgrade to firefox 1.5 through the Mandriva Control Centre.

How would I install / reinstall libstdc++ version 5?

Just Joined!
    To install libstdc++ you can either go to a command line and (as root) type:

urpmi libstdc++5

or using the GUI (Mandriva Control Centre->Software Management) type libstd into the search box and click search.