Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
so I have installed mandrake 7.2(yes, i know...mandriva...) and had it running for a while(about 2 months). I installed a network card and tried hooking it up to a router ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy eth0, M7.2, network issues...

so I have installed mandrake 7.2(yes, i know...mandriva...) and had it running for a while(about 2 months).
    I installed a network card and tried hooking it up to a router today(that was more pain than worth).
    upon lilo, it would always [fail] (eth0).
    i fixed that by interacting, and set the conf. manually.
    i set the IP, the subnet, and all that other good stuff.
    rebooted.
    it [pass]ed this time.
    still no network.
    i have tried DrakConf(root) to remove the network, and reinstall it as well(reboot...reboot...reboot).
    to no avail, I am unable to bring up 192.168.X.X to at least view the router.
    the EggsPee box is doing it ok(this is what I'm typing on), but in the router config, it only shows this DHCP client as using the service.

any help would be appreciated.
    please realize that I am just a noobie in the world of linux!!!(uggghh!)
    thanks in advance.

Howdy masam!

I haven't dealt with v7.2 but I'm willing to try...

Could you describe the network set-up? Are both PC's hooked to the router and they don't see each other? (try 'ping other-pc-address' and 'ping router-address') Take a look at your /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow and /etc hosts.deny files.

Could you post the output of ifconfig and the contents of the above three files?

Have you tried any of the How-To's?

welp.
    turns out i have no /etc/hosts dir.

uhm....?

the router sees the EggsPee box(DHCP Client List).

and i dont know where to begin with the How To's and where to find them @.

*edit* I also tried to run ifconfig and got the "WTF?/perrogies not found..." reponse from the machine!*edit*

{shrugs/sulks}

(help?!)

Howdy again masam!

Well....I can only suggest two things:

1) I would try a newer version, 7.2 is quite old, 2007 is current. I have run 10.0 on a Pentium 200, 10.1 on a P2 and 2006 on P3's and P4's. They all network very well and were easy to set-up during installation.

2) Try a search (I use Google) for 'linux network'. The Home Network stuff is quite good. It could probably point the direction for good solutions.

I have 6 or 7 PC's at home dual booting Win98SE, Win2Ksp4, and The above mentioned Mandrake/driva's and they all see each other and get along very well.

Don't give up hope, keep working through the How-To's and everything should come together.

thanx for the suggies!
    unfortunately, I'm running it off of an HP 6540c(celeron 466, 94M-RAM, 10G HD, onboard video....etc....bottom of the pile....etc....)
    i noticed that M1 needs at least 256Mega-Ramsies and ballsier G_Card then I have.

this is more of an experiment to learn about the linux OS than anything.
    a friend gave me the 7.2 install CD's, and I prefer this to (ahem) RedHat...so, trying to learn and burn as I go.
    Sam's "Unix in 24 hours" doesnt do too much justice for trying to learn, unless you have a job interview in 2 days

thanx for the help though!

so, after my brief bout with head-in-the-ass-itis, i figured out how to do the ifconfig stuff.
    after running the ifconfig commands to enable the loopback and the eth0, it still wont let me do anything.
    i tried "ifconfig eth0 192.168.8.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" and it says the resources are temporarily unavailable.
    uggh!

Excellent work masam!

Next step----

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

should get you up and running. lemme know!

oops....try a ping to the loopback (success means eth0 is up) and to the XP address (success means, well, success!)

so i chopped the install out and redid everything.
    (the NIC card was added after the install, fresh install detected w/o problems[was also having IRQ issues w/NIC.])
    so now with the static IP of 192.168.8.4 255.255.255.0, I can finally see my 2 routers and cable modem.
    i can get no further.
    what command should I be looking for to make it jump off the edge and plunge into the internet?

*edit* so i found that I can view websites with an IP address, not a domain...(about 2 inches to figuring this out....)[i've read until my eye-balls have bled so far(about 7:00 this morning)]

Xelent!

Congrats masam!

The 'command' your looking for is actually a browser. I use lynx for my Pentium but it is only text based. (But I can access sites by name in lieu of ip address) I am not sure but you may be able to find an old browser version (firefox?) or try SourceForge for some rpm's.

Best of luck!

ok.
    uggh.
    so i can view http://64.233.187.99 in Netscape.(google.com)
    i cant view http://www.google.com in Netscape.

i know this has all to do with the DNS and resolving, but i dont know where to point the resolve.conf to(search=? nameserver= ? . ? .com)

i'm not trying to set this machine up as a server(which, i've found many ways to do the DNS and Bind and stuff if i were...), i'm just trying to get on the internet and view things very simply by typing in a W3 address.

any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast