Find the answer to your Linux question:
Think I might have tracked down the real issue to the problem mentioned in this thread (last post). Apperently it has been reported as a bug here , and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question The end is near

Think I might have tracked down the real issue to the problem mentioned in this thread (last post). Apperently it has been reported as a bug here, and a nice man found a solution. I'm still very green and would like to know if the advice he gives can be implemented in Mandriva 2007, and how? - It's to technical for me.

But I suspect the end is near regarding my problem (hope hope).

Hi - Be careful with this! Are you sure that the post to the other forum is the answer to your question? If so then it involves editing source code, and then compiling it. I would avoid this if you are new, as it's likely to be very tough unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I'm also not sure I understand what your problems have been. You might need to spell things out a bit more if you want a solution.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Nope. Not sure it's the same - only same symptoms ie. the screensaver program will run the selected mpeg once and then nothing more happens. Maybe of importance that it stop at last frame, not a blank screen(?). The setup program that comes with kdeartwork where kpartsaver.kss is included has the options if it should pick a random file from a list or a specified, and if it should run only once or repeat. Nomatter the setup it runs only once. Tried to change this option in kpartsaverrc where settings are written to. No luck.

I'd like to get a dump from the program like the one posted in the other forum to verify if it's a shared problem or only shared symptoms, but how?

Actually I don't really care about this specific problem if there's anyone who know of other ways to play mpeg (or other common video-files) as screensavers. That's where I'm aiming.

Btw, thank you for what I consider a good answer. "Don't" probably saves me a lot of trouble compared to "don't know". (I'm courious as can be, so would've spent hours on the other). Hope this post gives basis for a "do".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi again

I have an idea based on the earlier thread you linked to. Not sure if it'll work too well, but it's the easiest route to take.

Navigate to your screensaver menu, which should be somewhere like: System>Configuration>KDE>Look & Feel>Screensaver

Then look under 'Banners and Pictures'. There you should find 'Media Screen Saver' where you can add mpegs, avis etc.

Now the bad news. I tried it myself and my videos played straight away with no delay. This is probably a bug which may be fixed in your version of Mandriva.

You may find that you need Kaffeine player installed, which is another version of Xine.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Thanks

Unfortunately this is what I've done so far (have kaffeine installed and all), and where I encountered the problem. Media Screen Saver's program is kpartsaver.kss. If you've managed to get this to work and have it repeat and/or switch video stream, it could seem that my system is somehow simply not fit for this. No delays are experienced, only failure to change medium or repeat/loop the selected. Plays fine first time only, then freezes on last frame till screensaver is disabled.

As I'm new to linux I'm not stuck with any distro or setup - so maybe I could use same setup as you? (as I assume this is nowhere near a hardware issue)

could my version of the program somehow misread or "forget" the value for the single/loop option?

- nice response time in here