Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok first off this is the first version of linux i have ever used so i am hardcore noob, i have mandriva 2007 i did a custom install didnt change ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

a few questions (n00b)

ok first off this is the first version of linux i have ever used so i am hardcore noob, i have mandriva 2007 i did a custom install didnt change a single option (haha) and well first question
    1 i have seen videos of like when you change desktops, it goes into a cube, and you can spin it and junk, also the active windows when you move them are like jello, just wondering how you get those to work? not a big problem but would love to impress some people with this eye candy,

2 is i try to connect to a website (ie google.com) and it just says connecting for like 5 min then comes up and says that it cannot connect, so i ping google.com and it comes up that it is sending and receiving, so if i type the ip of google into the browser it connects just fine, maybe the dns?? i have no idea

any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    ok and how do i do this?

Just Joined!
    when i boot in i get two errors

The Composite Manager crashed twice within a minute and is therefore disabled for this session.

and

Composite extension not found
    You must use XOrg ≥ 6.8 for translucency and shadows to work.
    Additionally, you need to add a new section to your X config file:
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection

i have no idea whats going on, also i have tried to install xgl and this is what i have done so far,

urpmi.addmedia xgl http://people.mandriva.com/~vguardiola/xgl/
    urpmi xgl-xorg
    urpmi compiz
    service dm stop
    service dm start

but still not getting anything, ANY help would be great

Just Joined!
    ok im not getting those errors anymore but it would be sweet to get xgl working and as far as the internet problem konqueror works well but firefox still has problems