Find the answer to your Linux question:
after weeks of fighting with mandriva 2007 i reinstalled 2006 which has never given me a headache......now when i try to shutdown 2006 my system reboots....i tried from the command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandriva 2006 wont shutdown

after weeks of fighting with mandriva 2007 i reinstalled 2006 which has never given me a headache......now when i try to shutdown 2006 my system reboots....i tried from the command line....shutdown -h now....still no joy....it just restarts.....any ideas?

You can see if you got rid of all your 2007 RPMs like this. I am assuming the 2007 RPMs all have mdv in their names whereas the 2006 RPMs all have mdk.
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep mdv
    Also you can verify that various RPMs are installed correctly. The shutdown command in SysVinit...rpm and it depends on glibc, so you can do this. If they are in good shape, there will be no output. You can add flag -v to get verbose output. (My glibc on 2007 has three files that have been modified by other installs.)
    Code:
    rpm -V SysVinit
    rpm -V glibc
    Also, I don't know, but there might be an entry in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog.

Just Joined!
    tks Ken for the info....i tried both glibc and SysVinit....says not installed....cant find the files on the mandriva dvd....guess it was just a bad install....anyway i grew tired of trying to get it right....wiped the partiton clean...resized it and just for fun installed puppy 2.01....as for now i like my new puppy....think ill play with it for a while....thks again guy....ill try mandriva again shud i get in the mood....

Possibly a problem with ACPI (power management). I've seen that problem before and seen it solved. You probably don't need to know now, but that's generally the case when you have shutdown problems ...

You can toggle ACPI settings in a few ways:

1. By passing different arguments to Lilo at boot time (I don't like this option);
    2. By entering the Mandriva control centre, looking in 'Boot' and playing around with settings in there (my prefered method);
    3. Entering your BIOS at boot time and toggling ACPI on/off (a last resort?)

Just my 2 pence worth.

::Edit:: Just re-read your post ... hmmmm less sure now. I'll leave this here anyway.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mm
    i tried both glibc and SysVinit....says not installed
    That's impossible. But was it rpm telling you glibc was not installed, or bash telling you rpm was not installed?

I guess it's too late now, but if the rpm -V or rpm -q commands can't find glibc, you might have trashed your RPM database in /var/lib/rpm. If that is the case, you could rebuild it. I've never issued this command, and I would not recommend that you do it unless you are pretty sure the database is corrupted.
    Code:
    rpm --rebuilddb
    Several years ago, I think it was when Mandrake 9.0 was released, I was so fed up with my corrupted RPM database problems that I did a reformat and reinstall. (If I had know about the --rebuilddb option I would have tried it.) I haven't had any RPM problems since.

Puppy Linux has such an interesting name that I want to try it, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

hehe...
    Puppy made a "comPile" in the corner(feeling like Fozzie bear being yanked off the stage by the neck...)