Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am newbie to linux, and I have problems establishing internet connection. The problem is, that mandrake just does not recognize my "MODEM MOTOROLA PCI VOICE" modem so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Mandrake does not detect my modem

Hi, I am newbie to linux, and I have problems establishing internet connection. The problem is, that mandrake just does not recognize my "MODEM MOTOROLA PCI VOICE" modem so I cant go forward. Any help appreciated.

Hi - many people have this problem. Please check out this website and see if it helps you find the right driver for your modem.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    lemme tell you one thing....it is always difficult to install the modem in linux....it is a long procedure...

You can download the appropriate driver from the net and even the readme to instal the modem drivers...

if u dont understand jus tell wat does it ask....!!!!

Linux Newbie
    Thanx guys,I give it a try

Just to fill in a gap here, not all modems are hard for Linux to detect. So called 'Winmodems' often are because they often ship with your PC and are designed for Windows only.

Personally I favour using a router/modem. This is just a single unit which plugs into an ethernet card at one end, and - if you're using ADSL - the phone socket at the other end. These are pretty easy to get going. I use a D-Link model (wired rather than wireless!)

The only trouble is that once every month or so it drops the line and I have to 'power cycle' the modem. All you do there is switch it on and off again. Another advantage of using a good router is that it comes with its own firewall, so you have even more security.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    Unfortunately I don't have DSL yet, my motorola is anlogic 56kb I have run the test of modem with scanModem tool. The output says that only motorola provides drivers for my modem, so i checked http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm to download driver, but I am not sure which version of kernel I am using How can I check that. And another problem is that I dont know how rpm package should be installed. I have just swithced from Windows, so I am a little clumsy with this. Here is also ModemData.txt, please give me some advice.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi again

To find your kernel version open a terminal and type uname -a

That will output more information than you need, but useful anyway. To install the rpm you'll need to cd to the directory where it's installed and issue the following command:

rpm -ivv <put_name_of_package_here>

You could just do rpm -i <package_name> or rpm -iv <package_name>

Look around for a good rpm tutorial. For example on these forums or http://linuxgazette.net/issue68/nazario.html

Let us know how you get on.

To change directories the command goes like (for example) cd /usr/bin or cd /etc or whatever.

Edit: With that rpm, it really depends which version of Mandriva you're using. The most up-to-date driver they have is for Mandrake 10.0, so even that is quite old. I wouldn't worry too much about your kernel version unless you really need to.

Linux Newbie
    Hmm, strange. I loged in console as root and installed the motorla driver rpm package. Although I didn't uderstand a damn thing the console has written while installling, I think the package should be now successfuly installed, because I haven't seen any error message. But still I couldn't establish the connection, so I have some further qustions, if you please can help.
    1)How do I know the modem is corretly installed,I can't see it in hardware configuration window?
    2)Which commands would help me query my modem, so I can test if the modem works ok?
    3.)How can I uninstall the rpm package, suppose I installed the wrong one?
    4.)What actually happens when installing rpm package, does linux have registry entries similar to ms windows?
    Thanx again.