Find the answer to your Linux question:
What up I know for a fact that my CPU is NOT overheating, since I've had this computer for over a year. I installed Mandrake Linux 2 days ago, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CPU above temp threshold...

What up

I know for a fact that my CPU is NOT overheating, since I've had this computer for over a year. I installed Mandrake Linux 2 days ago, and yesterday I got flooded with the messages "Temperature above threshold" and "running in modulated clock mode", and it...won't...stop.

At this point, let me mention that I'm TOTALLY NEW to Linux. I've looked at solutions for this problem in other posts but have been unable to understand what the hell is being said. I need to stop this message flooding, however, because it's preventing from using the shell to configure my new system. If you have a solution, please be prepared to keep it basic, and if that's not possible, then please explain how to go about each step. I'm using KDE, btw.

Try booting with acpi turned off - you can usually do this by typing acpi=off when the bootloader comes up. Can you boot into failsafe mode?

Thanks for the advice, but I just lost my GUI for some reason, and am trying to fix THAT now. I'll try it out when and if I get things sorted. I've gotta rant a bit cause I'm seriously pissed.

I mean, WTF is up with this freaking OS?!?! While trying to solve one problem, another pops up without fail:

1) On the 1st install, the freaking thing tells me I only have 3 Gigs of space to install, when I chose a 20 Gb partition -- what happened to all the rest of the space??!

2) After managing to install it, I wanted to start configuring things to become familiar with the OS (I've used Windows exclusively for 11 years, and have no idea how to do even basics things, such as browse files and directories in Linux, though on Windows, I'm proficient in all kinds of areas). I tried to examine network settings and make changes, and was asked for my root password, which I was then told was incorrect. After trying a bunch of stuff, I had no choice but to reinstall. What happened? Who the hell knows...

3) Finally, I'm up and running using KDE...Trying to browse files using Konqueror, it took me a day to figure out how to get to my other partitions where I have music and videos stored. I'm still not sure what '/mnt' is, but I know it's where I can get to my stuff.

4) I decided to install video drivers and get the sound working...While trying to run installers I downloaded, I got flooded by these messages about the CPU temperature, which I was happy to ignore, but the freaking shell won't let me type any commands in because those messages just override them. All I wanted to do was type "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run", but I kept getting cutoff, so I had to address the problem NOW so I could install my freaking drivers...

5) So I read some advice about modifying files (I think) and running some commands to eliminate the messages, but when I tried to access the root, Konqueror told me I didn't have access, and didn't even ask me for a password. Just 'DENIED'. When I tried to type in the commands suggested to me in the console, I get "could not find executable, etc, etc'. Hyper irritated at this point...And so I wrote the original post to get help.

6) Then, just now, while booting up to check out if anyone replied, I got curious and pressed 'esc' to enter verbose mode to check it out, and lost my GUI. I typed 'startx' or whatever to get it back, but it tells me the authentication failed and it's 'giving up'.

7) So then, I tried reinstalling AGAIN (3 times in two days) but now, it's telling me I don't have enough space to install at ALL (I decided to add support for all languages this time, so it used up the 'remaining' space, which it's misreporting cause there's actually TONS of space).

Finally, here I am, back in Windows typing this (I set up dual-boot just in case I found myself in this situation), and I think I might stay here for awhile until I calm down. I'm baffled by Linux; changing settings and whatnot is so cryptic and unintuitive, and it just keeps screwing up for NO REASON (how do you LOSE a GUI? How does that happen?!?! OMG, WTF is going ON?!?! l\sknjgv\sguoi\shugvish\ligksb\liugvnb\ulibsh\in

I feel a bit better now...be back later...maybe

HAHA!
    sorry.
    not too laugh, but i do know the feeling.
    i've only ventured seriously into linux for about the past 2 months now(mostly, WOW! what a neat background! WOW! these are cool games!)
    (such a lin-loser here...)
    aside from the problems(any surfacing in W yet?)
    from our side of it (W) it almost sounds like a memory issue(unseated maybe?) as far as it being calc'ed wrong.
    what type of machine are you using(specs)?

Well, glad to see someone understands...I'm not sure using Linux is safe; I might become the next Hitler and then try to take out my frustrations on the world, and all because I had to deal with a retarded OS ... It's gonna be a tragedy for the ages...

Anyway, here are my specs:

CPU: P4 3.2 GHz
    M/B: Asus P4P800-VM
    Hard drives: Maxtor 6L100M0 and 6Y120M0
    Sound: Audigy 2
    GPU: Nvidia 6800 GT

I managed to fix most of the things I was *****ing about: my GUI is back and I installed my video drivers (though it took an hour -- logon as root to make changes, set run level 3, recompile the kernel, move source code for kernel and download gcc so it can BE recompiled, run driver install program, configure the xconfig file, god it never ends). I seriously hope there's some great advantage to running Linux once you become proficient, cause if not, I'm going after the developers and promoters with a vengeance...

BTW Bigtomrodney, I turned ACPI off when I reinstalled the OS; those messages are gone. Thanks for the advice.

I could use some help with my sound card if you, or anybody else, knows how to set it up... I'm using ALSA and have snd-emuk10k-whatever installed, but I still have no sound. I'm not sure what to configure, how to configure it or where to find it. I'll search forums for awhile.

Linux Newbie
    for sound y dont u jus check out for volume control....
    coz somtimes PCM goes to mute automatically....

evn i'm a newbie to linux....jus statred learnin from forums n stuff

It's cool; I solved all my problems another way....http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/man...problem-2.html