Find the answer to your Linux question:
What's up I've tried to configure my sound card with ALSA, and have run alsaconf and alsamixer and checked my volume levels, but I have no sound. I read a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Recompiling kernel with modules

What's up

I've tried to configure my sound card with ALSA, and have run alsaconf and alsamixer and checked my volume levels, but I have no sound.

I read a post about using an alternate driver called ca1016 (I think), so I used modprobe to check if I have it; I don't. Apparently, I need to recompile the kernel with this driver.

My first thought is to wonder if this is really necessary...Given the things I've already tried, if anybody has alternatives I'd love to hear them.

If recompiling the kernel with this new module is the only option, I'd appreciate it if someone could outline what needs to be done (I'm new to Linux so please be gentle). Failing that, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction (a good tutorial regarding kernel compilation with modules that explains what modules are and where I can get them and so on). If anybody has the time though, feel free to walk me through it here.

this may or may not help....hope it does!

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Sound-HOWTO/

as far as messing w/ the kernal, uhhh....remember back in windows when we'd have a BSOD kernal crash....welp, so far, i havent messed with Kernal

Cool. I'll check it out and let you know.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close