Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
menu.lst is the configuration file for grub, and it will be located in /boot/grub. On some distros the config file is actually called grub.conf and will be located in /boot. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

menu.lst is the configuration file for grub, and it will be located in /boot/grub. On some distros the config file is actually called grub.conf and will be located in /boot.

From your second post it looks like you have two SATA drives and that grub was on the 10th partition (sdb9). Did you choose to install grub on the MBR? I don't understand why it is on the 10th partition and not the MBR (although I may be being stupid....). Can you explain more?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

I'm downloading knoppix now.

No, I don't have the file (menu.lst)...Seems like everything in the boot directory is gone for some reason. Grub.conf is gone too.

I do have 2 SATA drives; what grub is listing as the 10th partition should actually be considered the 1st partition of my second drive, which is partitioned in 4 pieces total (the 1st drive is partitioned in 3). Doing the math just now, I only have 7 partitions between the 2 drives; wonder where grub found the other 3?

Anyway, to answer your question, grub isn't in the MBR; my reason was that the windows boot loader was already there and working, and since I was unfamiliar with grub, I stuck with the boot loader I knew. I configured boot.ini to list Mandrake on startup, and installed grub on sdb9, which is where the Linux kernel, and everything else for Linux, is located.

You know, given that grub isn't even handling the boot loading, it shouldn't be giving any trouble...All it has to do is sit down, look pretty and STFU...

Ok, I got a look at my hard disks using knoppix...

Let me list all the paritition names so we know what we're talking about: sda1, sda5, sda6 for the master disk, and sdb1, sdb6, sdb7, sdb8 and sdb9 for the slave disk (don't ask me about the nomenclature; it's probably a result of the way the drives were partitioned when I first installed windows last year and I doubt it has anything to do with this problem).

Now, I mentioned earlier that sdb9 was were the kernel was; apparently I was wrong, cause all the folders (root, boot, mnt and everything) are actually on sdb1 (which is the 1st partition of the slave drive). sdb9 has a folder with my user name, and in the folder are the tmp and desktop folders.

If I look inside the 'boot' folder of sdb1, there are no files or folders. Nothing. No grub, no menu.lst, no vmlinuz, nothing at all. Does that mean everything got erased? If so, can I rebuild the contents of the 'boot' folder?

BTW, I figured out where the 3 'extra' partitions came from; the /HOME partition, the /ROOT partition, and the swap partition means that the 1st partition of the slave drive was divided into 3 pieces to install Linux. Anyway, the numbering is all wrong and is not a good indicator of the total number of partitions (there are 8, not including swap).

Well, I tried many things, but couldn't find a way to restore the contents of my boot folder, nor could I install lilo or grub from the install CD. My system is dead and will not boot.

I did manage to solve the problem another way though, and as a consequence, you'll be able to read my posts in the SuSE section from now on...

Mandrake was too much trouble; during the three days following my first installation, I reinstalled everything 3 times, lost my GUI (then got it back), my root password got scrambled, I had no sound even though ALSA was configured, had to deal with unnecessary complications in installing video drivers, I mysteriously lost the entire contents of my boot folder, and then could not reinstall the boot loader despite trying everything short of trying to rewrite the MBR and hard disk with a fridge magnet.

With SuSE, on the other hand, the sound worked right away after the first install (with the same driver as Mandrake), installing video drivers was a joke thanks to SMART, I didn't even have to do ANY boot loading configuration on my dual-boot system (but I still get to chose my OS), the GUI is perfectly functional and my root password hasn't been changed or gobbled without my consent or knowledge.

Plus there's tons of useful apps, and if I want to download more, all dependencies can easily be handled by SMART. I don't have to lift a finger unless I chose to.

Long story short, I love this distro, and want to have it's children...

Quote Originally Posted by Amano
    Long story short, I love this distro, and want to have it's children...

That was hilarious!

Sorry about your troubles with Mandrake (I was just about to post my apologies for not reading this thread for a day or two), and I'm glad to hear you found a distro that works for you.

I'll look forward to seeing you round the SuSE section!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Yeah, it's unfortunate. But live and learn eh? At least now, things are moving forward.

I appreciate your help thus far, btw. Looking forward to more good advice, though I'm keeping my fingers crossed cause so far, everything is running smooth, and I've been able to deal with any rough patches that have come up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2