Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A total noob need help

I just installed linux for the first time and booted the computer up. Then it got me into the non-interactive startup. So I typed in startx but it give me an error "no screens found". I have read on other forums and it most likely caused by my graphic card. My card is Radeon x850xt and I don't know how to config so that it will work. If anyone can help I would be thankful. I will continue searching for an answer to that problem.

What does it say in the prompt, on your left? What I want to know is which prompt you're in, the linux shell or a boot loader prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by tuyenluong
    I just installed linux for the first time and booted the computer up. Then it got me into the non-interactive startup. So I typed in startx but it give me an error "no screens found". I have read on other forums and it most likely caused by my graphic card. My card is Radeon x850xt and I don't know how to config so that it will work. If anyone can help I would be thankful. I will continue searching for an answer to that problem.
    in command line mode, edit xorg.conf file and change video Driver to "vesa".
    Code:
    su - 
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    execute 'startx' again to check GUI.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    in command line mode, edit xor.conf file and change video Driver to "vesa".
    Code:
    su - 
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    execute 'startx' again to check GUI.

casper
    probably just me being a complete n00b, but log into the root part of my account, typed what you said above and it says that /etc/x11/ does not exsist. do i need a root file like a drive or some thing or am i just ****ed

Quote Originally Posted by lynch_3001
    ...typed what you said above and it says that /etc/x11/ does not exsist...
    Linux like all Unix is case sensitive. So you need to keep the case right - try
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    There used to be a tool called XFdrake for configuring your X server, but obviously that refers to XFree86, so I'm not sure what it's called now. Maybe one of the guys here can fill that in for me.

what he said, in case you were confused, is to make sure the "X" is an "X" and not an "x".