Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
Yes, in commercial and critical servers it is very bad form to be casual with root. I'm referring to a personal computer. In the safety of a home learning environment, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    62

    Yes, in commercial and critical servers it is very bad form to be casual with root.

    I'm referring to a personal computer.

    In the safety of a home learning environment, which is what the parent post specified, I've yet to hear a valid reason for not setting up a test system to run as root.

  2. #12
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Pablo
    ...fix it until it breaks and fix it again .... get a tux tattoo on your leg, ...
    Brilliant!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  3. #13
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by maclinwin
    I've yet to hear a valid reason for not setting up a test system to run as root.
    A test system is different. If it is a system purely for messing around with, then there is no harm in going whatever you want. I agree with you on this.

    I just wanted to be sure that the tutorial on how to allow root logins was accompanied by a stern warning that it was a bad idea, just in case any newbies came across it. They can now read the tutorial and the warnings on why we think it's bad, and then they can make up their own minds.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #14
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by lutvision
    Linux is my seasonal hobby, I just go back to Linux,
    I wonder why Mandriva and Kubuntu lock the root gui login.
    Also now they lock the CD/DVD burn access, it said root access previllage.
    It must be for security reason, but really pain in the ass for newbie like me who don't want to know any text based command.
    Text based command is only for developer or for people loves it.
    Common people is now much more easy to learn with graphic user interface.
    I just feel Linux become more hard to handle for newbie like me.

    How to login as root in Mandriva One 2007 using kde graphic user interface?

    I gather some tips as follows:

    1. login as usual with your user name
    2. open terminal/console, type: su - root
    3. enter your root password
    4. at root@localhost then type : kdesu konqueror
    5. type in location as follow /etc/kde/kdm
    6. Double click the file : kdmrc
    7. Locate text : AllowRootLogin=false
    8. Change false to true
    9. Save.

    To test:
    Switch user > Start New Session
    type root and the password

    whoola!
    login as root in gui format!

    Use with your own risk!
    Handle with extreme care!


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------



    Note:
    Keep in mind Linux developer : not everyone is geek and have patience!
    Build Linux with very easy way to understand and easy way to use!
    Don't make people think! And don't make too much root based security freak!

    I love Linux and the way it grows, I always put my position with the eye and the mind of very newbie.

    I left Linux two years ago and now still no progress with the ease and human factor.
    I still can't burn my CD/DVD, crap!
    Just simply back to OSX....
    So this would not be how to the 64 bit OS to start in a GUI ? What other ways could i do this with Mandriva 2007 Discovery? Any help at this point would be great.

  6. #15
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by King377
    So this would not be how to the 64 bit OS to start in a GUI ? What other ways could i do this with Mandriva 2007 Discovery? Any help at this point would be great.
    This should work for 32bit or 64bit.

    But I repeat my warning. It's not a wise thing to do. There are much safer ways to set up your system.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  7. #16
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by King377
    So this would not be how to the 64 bit OS to start in a GUI ? What other ways could i do this with Mandriva 2007 Discovery? Any help at this point would be great.
    If your question is related to your other post here then this is not the answer to your question. This is a tutorial on how to allow the root user to login graphically, not on how to start the window manager.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  8. #17
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    62
    Not really trying to ruffle too many feathers.

    We WON'T create a Windows copy just to atract more users,
    Linux and Windows are TOO different, we are not creating an open source version of Windows.
    Linspire? KDE, Gnome? Mac OS X is a GUI front end to BSD Unix.

    WE may not,...but a lot of folks are putting tremendous effort in this direction.

    Folks know me as a guy that like "the command line". I even install CYGWIN on Windoze to make it more Unix Friendly. When serious work needs to be done, I like to pop a shell.

  9. #18
    Linux Guru smolloy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    CA, but from N.Ireland
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by maclinwin
    Linspire? KDE, Gnome? Mac OS X is a GUI front end to BSD Unix.
    True, Linspire is doing it's best to be like Windows, but I'm not sure KDE and Gnome are trying to be like Windows. In the end they're just pretty front-ends for the underlying linux-ness of the operating system.

    The underlying method of operation of the computer is still very different, and I personally like those differences. Newbies should give linux a chance before declaring that it's too hard, and that everything should be changed to make it more like windows.

    I am firmly of the opinion that the fact that you don't normally run as root is one of the many things that makes linux superior to windows.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

  10. #19
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5

    Smile There's an easy way to configure the login manager before you actually log in

    Quote Originally Posted by lutvision
    Linux is my seasonal hobby, I just go back to Linux,
    I wonder why Mandriva and Kubuntu lock the root gui login.
    Also now they lock the CD/DVD burn access, it said root access previllage.
    It must be for security reason, but really pain in the ass for newbie like me who don't want to know any text based command.
    Text based command is only for developer or for people loves it.
    Common people is now much more easy to learn with graphic user interface.
    I just feel Linux become more hard to handle for newbie like me.

    How to login as root in Mandriva One 2007 using kde graphic user interface?

    I gather some tips as follows:

    1. login as usual with your user name
    2. open terminal/console, type: su - root
    3. enter your root password
    4. at root@localhost then type : kdesu konqueror
    5. type in location as follow /etc/kde/kdm
    6. Double click the file : kdmrc
    7. Locate text : AllowRootLogin=false
    8. Change false to true
    9. Save.

    To test:
    Switch user > Start New Session
    type root and the password

    whoola!
    login as root in gui format!

    Use with your own risk!
    Handle with extreme care!


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------



    Note:
    Keep in mind Linux developer : not everyone is geek and have patience!
    Build Linux with very easy way to understand and easy way to use!
    Don't make people think! And don't make too much root based security freak!

    I love Linux and the way it grows, I always put my position with the eye and the mind of very newbie.

    I left Linux two years ago and now still no progress with the ease and human factor.
    I still can't burn my CD/DVD, crap!
    Just simply back to OSX....
    On the Mandriva 2007 login window, there're three buttons. Click the Action button, it pops up a small window on which you select "Configure the login manager", and from there you can configure to allow root login in GUI!

  11. #20
    Linux Guru Juan Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    /home/south_america/ecuador/quito
    Posts
    2,064
    Most developers do not want to imitate Windows but the key for a COMPANY (Apple, Linspire ..) to be succesful with an OS in a Windows world is to imitate Windows ... sad

    And I'm sure you haven't seen a vanilla GNOME desktop in a while, it is really different from Windows. However some distros modify it to look like Windows.

    Most noobs think user-friendly is "how Windows works" or "What I'm used to" and something user friendly is simply under-powered IMHO

    And OS X is not just a GUI for BSD, there's a lot of things like Darwin and the Mach microkernel behind.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

    Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •