Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm a new linux enthusiast and I have installed a Mandriva LE 2005. Recently I have updated successfully both Firefox, Opera and Open Office to their latest releases; ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Navigation, pop and smtp frozen

Hi all,

I'm a new linux enthusiast and I have installed a Mandriva LE 2005.

Recently I have updated successfully both Firefox, Opera and Open Office to their latest releases; but since some days I experience problems during navigation and during sending/receiving mails. I remark I make use of Opera as predefined browser and mail client.

I suspect there is a process that starts randomly and jams such communications (firefox suffers of navigation jams too) but I'm not able to detect it using ps or netstat.

More precisely, I don't know very well where and how to look...

Can you suggest me a more powerful strategy to keep a strong surveillance on processes that uses network connections?

Thank you in advance for your kindest reply.

Suggestion...

I have just had a problem after posting the previous thread.

I have killed a process named pyton and the connection restarted. What kind of process is it?

Thank you again for your help...

Dark_Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Star
    I have just had a problem after posting the previous thread.

I have killed a process named pyton and the connection restarted. What kind of process is it?

Thank you again for your help...

Dark_Star
    Python is a programming language, so perhaps it's starting up at boot time for some reason? Or you might have started it accidentally at some point. Or something depends on it, so it's configured to run for that programme.

You can use the top command to see which processes are running, and System > Configuration > Configure Your Computer > System > Enable or Disable System Services will let you choose which process to enable at boot time.

As for monitoring network connections, there are tools for doing that but I'm less familiar with them. You probably don't need them if you're just running a desktop box.

If you use KDE as your desktop environment, you can press Ctrl.+Esc. and bring up a process table. This is sometimes more useful than top as it provides a lot of system information.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Fingal, thank you very much for the tip. I found the top command and CTRL+ESC very useful to keep an eye on my running processes.

I heared about python as a programming language, but I didn't expect to see also a process named so. Using top and netstat I tried to make some other investigation but I still haven't found a solution for my web connection problems.

All I can say is that the other pc (a laptop with winXP pro) connected to my router seems to have no problem with http, pop and smtp traffic.

What else should I try? Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thank you again

Dark_Star