Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am very new to the linux OS, i recently puchased a copy of Mandriva 2007 Discovery on disc and installed it. Everything went well but, now i have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64 Bit question

I am very new to the linux OS, i recently puchased a copy of Mandriva 2007 Discovery on disc and installed it. Everything went well but, now i have a small problem im not sure how get the system up after i type in my login & PW can somebody PLease help me.

what happens on entering username and password? any error message?
    we can't help unless you provide more details. in case, you are getting command line login prompt, execute 'startx' after entering username and password.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    what happens on entering username and password? any error message?
    we can't help unless you provide more details. in case, you are getting command line login prompt, execute 'startx' after entering username and password.

Casper
    Sorry, not getting any error messages just a command prompt but, not sure what to do thereafter what should type in the line to start linux in a GUI environment?

Just Joined!
    Ok, i typed in "startx" in the command line now at the bottom of the screen it says fatal server error: no screens found. I think i need lots of HELP.

'no screens found' means you didn't install any Desktop Manager. did you select custom option and selected packages manually during installation?

Casper

Just Joined!
    'no screens found' means you didn't install any Desktop Manager. did you select custom option and selected packages manually during installation?

Casper
    I don't recall if it asked me about a desktop manager, i guess it should've if your asking what i selected.

Mandriva has Gnome and KDE desktop managers and it uses KDE by default. did you select Custom installation?

Casper

Just Joined!
    I should probably tell you that this was orginally installed on a 32 bit computer. Should maybe I re-install it now that it is in a 64 bit computer or would that not affect the outcome.

Just Joined!
    Mandriva has Gnome and KDE desktop managers and it uses KDE by default. did you select Custom installation?

Casper
    i would have left it at the default setting

are you installing 64bit version? thats not a good idea. check here.
    64bit is not well supported but this should not be a problem unless your machine is 32bit.

Casper