Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi This is my 1st venture into linux athough I've thought about doing it for a long time. I have chosen to try mandriva 2007 KDE seemed like a good ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile SM56 modem problems - Help!

Hi
    This is my 1st venture into linux athough I've thought about doing it for a long time. I have chosen to try mandriva 2007 KDE seemed like a good newbies place to start from I read anyway. I have an sm56 motorola modem which I am trying to get working. (with little sucess so far) I checked for drivers on the motorola website the closest I could find was mandrake 10 not sure if this is the correct driver or not.
    Any help anyone can give on this problem would be appreciated. (Please be specific I am a true newb and don't know where anything is yet or what is for)
    Thanks for any help you can give
    Any guides for newbs would be appreciated too
    busta

Just Joined!

Unhappy Mandrake 10 driver does NOT work

I've tried this driver on Mandriva One 2007, the single-disc version of Mandriva 2007, and the sm56 driver for Mandrake 10 does NOT work on Mandriva 2007. The problem is in the version of the Linux kernel. Mandriva 2007 uses version 2.6.17, but the driver is for 2.6.3. I'm sorry I can't help find the correct driver, but we have found the incorrect driver.

Just Joined!

im not the only one...

I just installed Mandriva One 2007 and the only link I could find was http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/sm...nload.htmwhich has the driver you mentioned. I am not sure if I have to compile a new kernel or get this to work or if I just need to make a few changes somewhere in the driver. I was trying to do this on an Ubunu install last night, same hardware and it was a nightmare trying to get the driver to even install...anyone got any ideas?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close