Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I recently installed mandriva 07 using one of the free version disks. The main problem I am facing now is that I cannot get the 3D desktop to work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3d Desktop with free version

Hi. I recently installed mandriva 07 using one of the free version disks. The main problem I am facing now is that I cannot get the 3D desktop to work.

I have a Radeon x1600 which I'm sure is compatible. A few weeks ago I was getting help at another forum and somone mentioned that the free distribution did not come with the propietry drivers that were needed for things like the 3D desktop. Is this true?

I'm desperate for this 3Ddesktop someone help me please

Quote Originally Posted by aatwo
    A few weeks ago I was getting help at another forum and somone mentioned that the free distribution did not come with the propietry drivers that were needed for things like the 3D desktop. Is this true?
    Yes, it is true, because the FREE version (or "purely free") refers to the fact that it uses only open source software.

The Mandriva One edition is free of cost as well, but comes with some proprietary stuff, such as video card drivers.

Anyway, using the FREE version if not a problem. As long as you correctly configure URPMI (the package manager), you will have access to the same software (including video drivers package) as in the ONE edition.

Different editions are explained here :
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download

This site will help you get a working URPMI configuration :
    http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee