Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just dual boot installed Mandriva One 2007 onto my 2nd computer and it all went fine from the look of it. I made myself a user with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva One 2007 login help!

Hello,

I just dual boot installed Mandriva One 2007 onto my 2nd computer and it all went fine from the look of it. I made myself a user with a name and password but when I get to the "Welcome" (login) screen and put in the name and password, it looks like its going to work, then the screen goes black then blue for about 2 seconds and goes straight back to the login screen.

Here is a simplified version of that ^
    1. Input user information
    2. Loading
    3. Black then blue screen
    4. Login Screen again

Any help would be great,
    thanks alien13

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    At the login screen, do CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to the terminal as root. Enter the command "init 3". After that exit as root and then login to the terminal as a normal user and enter the command "startx". That should hopefully print out some errors that can help us diagnose the problem. Post the messages here.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. The message I get when I do the things you said is as follows: (Not including all the text)

"Using vt 7
    (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)
    The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
    > Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
    > Ignoring extra symbols
    Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

waiting for X server to shut down"

Thanks, alien13

It seems like your system is trying to load the glx extensions of the nvidia driver, but the nvidia driver is not found. Have you installed the official nvidia driver on this system? If not, try running XFdrake (or XFDrake, I can't remember the exact name of the command) whilst logged into the terminal as root and see if it automatically configures your system. If you keep having the same issues, then you may have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and make sure your graphics card driver is set to "nv" and not "nvidia". Also make sure that if you have a section like
    Code:
    Load "glx"
    You change it to
    Code:
    #Load "glx"
    Hopefully X will be able to start after you have made these changes. If you are successful, install the official nvidia driver from nvidia.com and then undo the changes you made in /etc/X11/xorg.conf if the driver was sucessfully installed.

Hey,
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    Have you installed the official nvidia driver on this system?
    Not yet as I can't get to the desktop to do anything. Is there another way to do this via the terminal?

The command was XFdrake and I went through that but the same thing is still happening. I went to the xorg.conf file and under the nvidia part it says that the driver is "nv".
    At the Load "glx" part I cant put a # in front of it because when I press Shift+3 i get a &#163; symbol?
    Thanks for the help!,

alien13

You can download the official nvidia driver from nvidia.com using a text based browser such as links. I am quite sure that if you comment out (put the #) the "load glx" part, your desktop will load.

Just Joined!
    Hi, I am under similar circumstances as Alien13. My errors come out as follow:

"Using vt 7

(EE) GLX is not supported with the Composite extension."

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by focs19
    Hi, I am under similar circumstances as Alien13. My errors come out as follow:

"Using vt 7

(EE) GLX is not supported with the Composite extension."

Ideas?
    Follow the instructions in post 4 for editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and disabling GLX.

Just Joined!
    Success! Thank you!

And now begins my Linux journey...