Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all Let me start with the obligatory statement that I am a noob, and this is a very noobish question. I feel quite embarrassed even asking it. I've recently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red face 07 Kernel Source without internet, Please help

Hi all

Let me start with the obligatory statement that I am a noob, and this is a very noobish question. I feel quite embarrassed even asking it.

I've recently installed Mandriva 2007 from the free CD's after having no end of problems with 2006. I'm attempting to install the RT61 drivers for my D-Link wireless card but I can't as I have no kernel source installed. I've been trawling through forums and google for a couple of days now and am ready to scream.

Previously I've always installed kernel source from the installer CDs, quick and simple. However I can't find it anywhere on the CDs. I read in another thread that they it is not on the CDs, only the DVD version, this sounds ridiculous to me (releasing a linux distro without kernel source ) but my DVD drive isn't working so I can get them from there.

It has also been mentioned using urpmi to download and install them, but as I need this for my Wifi card, I have no internet on my linux boot, so that's out of the question too. I'm having to download everything on my Windows boot (or phone, which takes ages). I've also tried a couple of RPMs that claim to be the kernel source, but don't put any files in /usr/src. I also don't really trust RPMs that much.

Could anyone please tell me exactly where to download a tarball of 2.6.17-5mdv source and quickly go through how to install it from console (just in case I screw up, I am a noob after all).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Danny

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you need Mandriva packages, then always search in one of their ftp mirrors. The kernel-source rpm package is available at this mirror.

Thanks a lot for the link.

I downloaded the rpm and will give it a try as soon I can. I did try to look through the Mandriva site but must have been looking in the wrong bit.

Thanks, we'll see how things turn out.