Find the answer to your Linux question:
After installing Mandriva Free 2007, I receive a total black/blank screen after the initial boot screen. I can get to a command prompt. This is a new PC but have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Blank screen following Free 2007 installation

After installing Mandriva Free 2007, I receive a total black/blank screen after the initial boot screen. I can get to a command prompt.

This is a new PC but have tested the hardware on XP before reformatting.

Hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    ECS nforce4m motherboard
    1 GB RAM
    40 GB SATA drive
    GeForce 6200 128Mb PCI EXpress 16X dual head, tv out
    16 X DVD rom drive
    Samsung Syncmaster 192MP

I obviously assume the issue is the graphical card driver or monitor. I have chosen all the generic Nvidia GeForce drivers as there isn't one listed exactly for the 6200. I also have tried the choice of a generic monitor of LCD 1280 X 1024 60 mz which fits my current monitor. (I did try with a different LCD monitor and received same results). Everytime I try a different selection, I can use the "test" feature and it appears fine...rainbow of colors and easily can read the question.

I chose Mandriva because I had little experience with 2006 last year. I am a relative newbie wanted to switch 100% over to Linux as a 2007 resolution if you will.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RKM
    Just Joined!
    I also tried to install this distro and got basically the same thing!

I am new to linux but someone said pick one distro and stick with it so I have chosen to go with Fedora

Just Joined!
    Well, I scrapped Mandriva and just downloaded and installed Kubuntu. Worked fine right away. Honestly don't understand why Mandriva goes and gets hosed before it's even installed.