Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I am as green a greenhorn can be, so please be patient with me. I'm experimenting with this form of Linux. Previously used Umbunta until my other computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva Powerpack 2007

Hello all,

I am as green a greenhorn can be, so please be patient with me. I'm experimenting with this form of Linux. Previously used Umbunta until my other computer crashed. All I did was tinker with it.

I installed this version of Mandriva because of the great reviews I read throughout the internet. Everything went well I believe on installation. I installed it parallel to Windows XP on the following computer info:

Dell Inspiron E1705 Widescreen Laptop
    Intel CPU
    T2250 @ 1.73GHz
    1.05 GHz, .99 GB of RAM
    SP2 Media Center Ed.

When loading Linux o/s I sign in, password, etc. Then I get a prompt to do something. I searched for awhile to figure out what I should do next. I went back and typed "startx". I got the following response:

X Window System v. 7.1.1
    X Protocol V. 11
    Build Operating System Linus 2.6.17 - 4 mdv i686
    (WW) I810: No matching device section for instance (BUSID PCI:0:2:1) found
    (EE) I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

Fatal server error:

No screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 204 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 reg (0 known proc) without events remaining.

I need help with this along with any other stumbling blocks I may run into in the future. Was something missed on installation? Also, I thought this would just load to a desktop. Was I misled by the ease of use by Umbunta to expect the same from Mandriva? The problem I really have is that I do not know anything about prompt responses or programming in Linux in order to muddle thru on this.

Please help and thank you in advance,

Mark

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    It seems like there is a problem with your graphics card. Try logging in as root in the terminal and running XFdrake and hopefully your graphics card will be automatically configured for you. If that does not work, try configuring your card manually using the menu driven xorgconfig tool. Is your graphics card by any chance ATI? They seem to give many people headaches, so I would recommend nvidia based cards.

Just Joined!
    daark.child,

I appreciate your quick response. Please help me thru the "logging in as root" situation. Also, how would I be able to get you an answer on which video card I have? I prefer nVidia on previous computers, but whatever came with this one is what I have. Is there a way to find out without having to search for the original paperwork? FYI: the laptop was purchased 3 months ago.

Regards,

Mark

When the desktop fails to load, you should be dropped to a command prompt that looks something like
    Code:
    [user@somehost ~]$
    Enter the username "root" and then the password you set for root during install time and press the enter key. Note that the password won't be echoed back on the screen. After that enter the command "XFdrake" and hopefully your graphics card will be automatically conffigured for you. To find out what graphics chipset you have enter the command
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep -i graphics

Just Joined!
    Hello again,

Graphics card is Intel 945.

I followed your directions in the previous response. It didn't act "automatically" as you indicated it might. I played around with the settings and somehow got it to work. On reboot, desktop came up automatically with the welcome screen.

I feel as though we accomplished something huge. I tinkered around for a bit. I love the fact that you can access files/folders/etc. on the Windows side and drag them over. That is so cool. The music player, though, is quite poor. Also, the volume controls I have on the front of my laptop do not interact with Linux it appears.

I tried very hard to get my wireless network up and running. I just don't know enough about this to do it. I have a Linksys wireless router which gives me access to the internet, along with shared network files amongst the Windows computers.

1)How can I link up with this using Mandriva?
    2)Is there a manual I can read for Mandriva 2007 Powerpack so that I can play, experiment, etc. w/out continually bothering you?
    3)I read, or heard - can't remember which, that if I have a dual-core preocessor that I no longer have to reboot to go from Windows to Mandriva or vice a versa, that it could be as easy a going to the start menu and selecting it. Is this something that might be true? And if so, how can I get this to work for me.

Best regards and thank you for being so helpful and patient,

Mark

What music player did you use? I think Linux has some very good music players that have no equivalents in Windows. My favourite is Amarok, but some use Rhythmbox, bmpx, xmms and others.

If you bought the Mandriva powerpack, I think there is a free book you can download from the Mandriva website. I am not sure whether you have to make use of the free club subscription in order to get the free book. There are other books out there that mainly focus on the command line e.g. rute.

As for the wireless networking, you have to let us know which wireless chipset you have. You can get this info by entering the command below in a terminal
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci | grep -i net
    If your card is supported by Linux, you can use opensource drivers which may or may not be included in your distro. If the card is not supported, you can use your windows drivers with an application called ndiswrapper.

As for the rebooting thing, I don't think its true.

Just Joined!
    Good evening,

I was using Amarok. It sounded almost mono-like. Do you think it had anything to do with the fact that I was playing files from the Windows side? I can't see that as being an issue.

As for the wireless situation, I have the following:

1394 Net Adapter
    Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card.

I couldn't find anything on the Dell forums on whether this is compatible with Linux.

Regards, Mark

You really need to run the command I mentioned above so that we get the chipset name and not the brand name.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

I think I really messed it up over here.

I went to delete the partition so that I could reinstall Mandriva. I needed to do this because I only left myself, on the original installation, with 44 GB on the Windows o/s. I used Paragon Partition Mgr. I didn't see a way to expand the one partion and simultaneously decrease the Linux partion size so I went this route.

But now I can't load either o/s. It still has the boot up screen that was installed by Mandriva, but it goes no where when I press Windows. It has no loader it says.

I hope this can be fixed or else I really screwed myself royally.

Please save me,

Mark

Just Joined!
    Hello all,

FYI on how I solved this issue.

I used an old version of Windows XP o/s. I booted it and instructed it to repair. In command mode I typed fixmpr, confirmed yes and then re-booted. It was as if this whole nightmare never happened.

daark.child,

I'll get you that chipset info sometime later this evening.

Thanks, Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast