Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I downloaded the latest mandriva one live cd, played with it for a while and then installed it to the hdd (I'm pretty new to linux btw) anway, after this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant Login to gui after live install

I downloaded the latest mandriva one live cd, played with it for a while and then installed it to the hdd (I'm pretty new to linux btw)

anway, after this I got to the enterered in a new user and stuff and then got to the logon screen.

now I couldn't login with this new account. whenever I try it acts like it's going to log in, but then after a long time it just returns to the logon screen. I couldn't logon as root either. I already reinstalled it twice with the same problem. I've discovered it only does this when I type in the username/pass correctly. If I type it wrong, I just get a "incorrect login" message or something like that.

any ideas?

thanks!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    When you get back to the login screen, do CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to the terminal as root. Enter the command "init 3" and then logout as root and login to the same terminal as a normal user. Enter the command "startx" and post back any error messages you get.

Just Joined!

kubuntu 6.06

I'm having a similar problem. Yet I've been running kubuntu flawlessly since I installed a few weeks ago.

I ran the comands you suggested.

/user/bin/startx: line 132: cannot create temp file for here document: No Space left on device.
    /user/bin/startx: line 144: cannot create temp file for here document: No Space left on device.
    /user/bin/startx: line 144: cannot create temp file for here document: No Space left on device.

Fatal server error server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /temp/ .x0-lock
    and start again.

Xlib: connection to ":0.0 refused by server
    Xlib: no protocol specified
    giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to x server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marbles
    I'm having a similar problem. Yet I've been running kubuntu flawlessly since I installed a few weeks ago.

I ran the comands you suggested.

/user/bin/startx: line 132: cannot create temp file for here document: No Space left on device.

Fatal server error server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /temp/ .x0-lock
    and start again.

Xlib: connection to ":0.0 refused by server
    Xlib: no protocol specified
    giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to x server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error
    Have you checked whether you have enough disk space on your system. You can do this by running "df -h".

Just Joined!
    aw yes that was the problem I was trying to download a few movies to my home folder. I got it sorted now thanks.

Just Joined!

GUI Problems

I too am having GUI problems. I have a reinstalled Debian 3.1 on to my server so many times that I can't even count.

After a fresh install of Debian and a rebbot, I get the following error:

"XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining."

And I'm stuck in the CLI mode.

The Hardware (HW) responsible for GUI in my server is:

Graphics Card: ATI Technologies Inc. 3D Rage I/II 215GT Mach 64 rev. 41

If anyone has a solution for me, I'd love to read it.

What really makes me scratch my head is that, I had the GUI on the server before. I just wanted to try out something new and wanted to reinstall everything for a fresh new start. So my HW hasn't changed!!

Thanks in advance everyone.

And HAPPY NEW YEAR! ! ! ![/SIZE]

Linux Newbie
    I had a similar problem, but it is almost fixed now.

I installed Mandriva 2007 (Free) and the GUI installer detected all of my hardware. Everything was fine until the first boot. I set it up to auto log me in, but what came up was a light blue screen with several horizontal white lines that were sloppily organized in crooked columns.

I hit CTRL F1, but I couldn't get anything accept a blank screen. I hit ctrl + alt + backspace to kill the server.

I tried startx, but I had the same problem. I killed the xserver again and tried startx kde. Then I tried startx gnome. Then I tried startx enlightenment. All I got was a red screen with two xterm windows that I couldn't activate. I tried startx kde again and I was finally in KDE.

There was just one problem; no mouse, I hit the Window button on my laptop and the Kmenu came up. That was wonderful. I used my keyboard to navigate to the System\Configuration\Configure Your Computer and selected different mouse types to get something. It was defaulted to Universal Any PS/2 & USB Mice. I tried simply PS/2 and then it asked me if I wanted to emulate a third button. I hit enter and instantly, my touchpad and my USB mouse started working. I hit cancel and switched my mouse to USB and then selected wheel. Everything works properly; until I reboot. I have to do this EACH time. I think I remember something when I was reading the kde.conf file about enabling or disabling the mouse on starup, but I didn't change anything...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child
    When you get back to the login screen, do CTRL-ALT-F1 and login to the terminal as root. Enter the command "init 3" and then logout as root and login to the same terminal as a normal user. Enter the command "startx" and post back any error messages you get.
    I can't even get that far... when I press ctrl alt F1 at the login screen it goes back to a loading screen similar to the boot screen and then freezes there!

anymore ideas?

Linux Newbie
    ctrl + alt + backspace

That should kill the server.

Try ctrl + alt + f2 to get to a terminal that you can type in. you may need to remove the lock on X. Don't forget how to restart, if you need it.

shutdown -r now

Hope it helps.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyman143
    I downloaded the latest mandriva one live cd, played with it for a while and then installed it to the hdd (I'm pretty new to linux btw)

anway, after this I got to the entered in a new user and stuff and then got to the logon screen.

now I couldn't login with this new account. whenever I try it acts like it's going to log in, but then after a long time it just returns to the logon screen. I couldn't logon as root either. I already reinstalled it twice with the same problem. I've discovered it only does this when I type in the username/pass correctly. If I type it wrong, I just get a "incorrect login" message or something like that.

any ideas?

thanks!
    well add one more to guys with similar problems.
    i got the same login cli command and i was typing a command startx
    then i found what it was and gave my name and password.
    then it goes to command line -nota graphic interface.
    i type in startx and it starts adn quits very fast
    this is what i see on the screen:

x protocol version 11 revision 0 release 7.1.1
    build operating system linux 2.6.17 -4 mdv168 #1 smp
    check http://wiki.x.org before filing bug report
    module loader present
    using config file : ect/X11/xorg.conf
    using vt7
    xinit ; no such file or directory (err no 2): no program named "xvt" in PATH
    and some more blah blah..

net result no gdm or kdm

pl help
    tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast