Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a dual boot system with Windows and Mandriva. On the Windows side, I have no problem logging into my wireless network. But on the Mandriva 2007 side, no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to log into wireless network

I have a dual boot system with Windows and Mandriva. On the Windows side, I have no problem logging into my wireless network. But on the Mandriva 2007 side, no connection.

Now I have configured the network as I thought it should be, and it does recognize the Adapter, but nothing else. Any help appreciated.

I am using a Microsoft -510 802.11b Adapter connecting to a Microoft Base station MN-500.

I think my problem may lie in my settings. I have my encryption key, but not sure the following settings are right. Any help appreciated.

Which should be selected?

Operating Mode: Managed/ad-hoc/Master/Repeater/Secondary/Auto
    Encryption Mode: Open WEP/Restricted WEP/WPA Pre-stored Key

Thanks for your help!!!!

BTW

I know when I used the encryption key in the MAC environment, it has to be preceded by the dollar ($) sign. Is something similar for Linux?

Linux Newbie
    I don't know how much this helps, but have you used the Configure Your Computer GUI?

I have found recently that many command line edits don't work in Linux.

I had the exact same problem you have, except that I left my network open. In Mepis, as root, I tried:
    idown wlnan0

Then I tried:
    ifconfig wlan0 essid Wolfton

And when I did, the essid showed up, but I still couldn't connect. I went searching online and found out about mutilities. I was able to get online only after using the GUI.

When I put Mandriva on this box, I went straight to the K-Menu\System\Configuration\Configure Your Conputer and then selected Network & Internet and then Wireless Connection. If you do this, and go to configure, you should have no difficulties.