Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I find this a most amazing story. It sounds as though your XP box has been hijacked. Even Norton cannot protect a computer from it's operator downloading and installing a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I find this a most amazing story.

It sounds as though your XP box has been hijacked.

Even Norton cannot protect a computer from it's operator downloading and installing a Trojan.

I've seen it and cleaned them up 100 times.

And that slowing down business... It sounds like someone (or something) could be using your computer as a stealth server. The mouse moving? Some form of VNC or GoToMyPC? Is it moving around opening progs and clicking icons and stuff outside of your browser? Are you using I.E.? If so, I'd switch to Firefox right away. Jamey758, have you run SpyBot, AdAware etc.? Everyone here will be happy to help you get started with Linux, but I think it is also important that you get this monkey business with your Windows stopped right away...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Yes I have used AdAware and about 5 other likewise programs. I mean they always find some junk but never solved the problem. It's not a something for for sure and offcourse it's a someones. When my mouse moves it's only when I'm working and only to point out things. Like moving up the screen to a link I've missed for example... I hate windows anyway and it is never gonna see the light of internet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey758
    When my mouse moves it's only when I'm working and only to point out things. Like moving up the screen to a link I've missed for example...

What firewall are you running? open it and see if port(s) 5900-590* and port(s) 5800-580* are open. If so, close them. That *might* fix him from operating your box. Also, if you are using IE, use it to download and install Firefox. Thing is Jamey758, it's really not a good idea to do without Windows while you are trying to acclimate to Linux. You'll have problems that will need to be researched and solved. If you set up as a dual boot between Linux and Windows, that will make life a lot easier on you during the transition, with or without your "friend." Without, preferably.

Linux Enthusiast
    Format the HDD and reinstall the OS. Then patch the OS and install AV and the hacker will be gone. Sorry, but why live with a cracked PC when it's so easy to fix?!?

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98
    Sorry, but why live with a cracked PC when it's so easy to fix?!?
    You're right gtmtnbiker98. I've been away from Windows and problems like this for years. In Linux, we learn to just fix everything. In Windows, a nuke and pave secession always works!

Just Joined!
    You say you are running anti-virus, spywareblaster and adaware. Just to be sure do an <alt><ctrl><del> and open task manager. Is anything hogging your CPU? Rem: System Idle should hover around 98% when the computer is idle.

If some process is hogging CPU, google it's name, or better yet, post it here.

Also, when my Logitech optical trackball gets fuzz it wanders about. May be time to pick the fuzz.

But enough about Windoze. Download and burn a Linux live, boot it, test it and return and chat.

Just Joined!
    Thanx guys, yes I use Firefox and as little MS programs as possible. Also I have blocked about every known trojan port there is in my software firewall. I have formatted my hd's, even wrote zero's on them, and flashed my bios just to be sure so many times.... It's not a bad mouse I'm dealing with. I don't know it's probably a trojan that get's installed with some piece of software but I've never been able to get rid of.

I have just finished dling the Fedora Core and gonna make an install. I'm using Mandrake 10 atm which I really like, what should I get from Mandriva, just the single cd installation disc?

Just Joined!
    You mean one of those Unix Systems that runs from cd with a linux Live CD? which should i pick? I found about a hundred of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey758
    You mean one of those Unix Systems that runs from cd with a linux Live CD? which should i pick? I found about a hundred of them...
    Any live CD of a popular distribution (such as the top 10 on DistroWatch) will work. Also, and this is just a small nitpick, Linux is not the same thing as UNIX.

http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix.html

http://www.dwheeler.com/secure-progr...O/history.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast