Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi everyone, I have been using windows all my life. Irrirating fact is that I have a hacker on my pc for half a year know which I can't get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Linux?

Hi everyone,

I have been using windows all my life. Irrirating fact is that I have a hacker on my pc for half a year know which I can't get rid of, even though I have a fully up to date winxp with firewall and brand new router. So I would like to switch to Linux because I have heared it is much safer. Could anyone tell me what version of Linux I should choose that is the most safe one if I only want to use it for simple internet, an ftp program like cute or ws ftp and a thunderbird mail.

What I have installed now is the Mandrake pack version 10. I've installed it with Paranoid mode but I'm not able to mount any cd/dvd or external drive. Internet is working just fine. Which is the second question, becuase I really like this version and the Paranoid mode it comes with, does anybody know how I mount the cd's and dvd's I put in.

Hope anybody is willing to tell me something about it!

Grtz

Jamey

Hi Jamey758. Welcome to the forums.

You may also want to try SuSE, Ubuntu or Fedora but as everyone here will tell you, you are the only one who can decide which distribution is right for you and the way to do that is to try as many as possible. As a new user, you should take a look at this thread. And more specific to your problem, this one. Good luck.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Mandrake 10.x is rather old now and unsupported. Try something newer like Mandriva 2007 (Mandrake merged with Conectiva to create Mandriva) if you like Mandrake Linux.

Just Joined!
    Thanx,

I'm already downloading fedora and suse for a try, will give Mandriva a try as well

So is it much safer to use a Unix based OS then a Dos based like windows? I'm not gonna install a virus scanner but will I need a firewall or will the built in firewall be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey758
    ...will I need a firewall or will the built in firewall be sufficient?
    Hi Jamey758 and welcome to the forum.

I'd like to go back to what you said earlier about a hacker being on your box. You mean someone has hacked through your router? Is the router firewall turned on and password protected? Is it set to ignore incoming requests? Do you have all incoming ports closed? Are you running static IP from your ISP or DHCP? Can you not get a new IP either from renewing it within your router or requesting a differnet one from your ISP? Or is this machine a server that needs a static IP? I'm just asking because if you have done all these things and this hacker is still getting through, he must be pretty damned good, and your machine must have something on it he really wants. If he IS good enough to get through all the security avaiable to you in your router, he may not be phased by the fact that you will be running Linux and will know how to hack that too. I hate to see this happening to you. What does it appear this hacker is trying to do with your computer? The answer may help in determining the best distro to choose along with other ways to make it more secure.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Hi Jamey758 and welcome to the forum.

I'd like to go back to what you said earlier about a hacker being on your box. You mean someone has hacked through your router? Is the router firewall turned on and password protected? Is it set to ignore incoming requests? Do you have all incoming ports closed? Are you running static IP from your ISP or DHCP? Can you not get a new IP either from renewing it within your router or requesting a differnet one from your ISP? Or is this machine a server that needs a static IP? I'm just asking because if you have done all these things and this hacker is still getting through, he must be pretty damned good, and your machine must have something on it he really wants. If he IS good enough to get through all the security avaiable to you in your router, he may not be phased by the fact that you will be running Linux and will know how to hack that too. I hate to see this happening to you. What does it appear this hacker is trying to do with your computer? The answer may help in determining the best distro to choose along with other ways to make it more secure.
    Yes someone has been hacking through my router. The router firewall is turned on and firewall protected. There are little settings I can modify within the router itself, all I did was disabeling the wireless mode, set it to block anonymous requests and to filter multicast. Also opened op some ports I need for some of my programs to acces internet. I have a static IP adres and changing it with my ISP won't do me any good since I have places where I can be found on the internet and always will be. I'm not running a server on my pc and will never to this. I mean I use some p2p progs now and then that act as some kind of server offcourse but nothing serious. Further as I said my windows is up to date with an extra up to date software firewall on it even though this might be unnecescary already having a router in front of it. I don't know what the guy wants, he has never caused any damage on my pc and in fact has only done things that helped me out... How funny this may sound. Yet I don't want anybody on my pc because it is personal and also used for my work. Hope I have given you enough info

All I want from my Linux station is to be able to use email, internet, an ftp program and the ability to move my data with an external NTFS disk from one pc to the other and all of this in the safest way possible and understandable for me

Just Joined!
    Further I use long 20 digit passwords so it shouldn't be to easy I guess... What he does is slowing down my harddrives, internet connection and offcourse playing with my mouse pointer... I really don't know I mean when u believe the regular pc store your computer is absolutely safe now lol.

Some advice would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey758
    Yes someone has been hacking through my router. The router firewall is turned on and firewall protected. There are little settings I can modify within the router itself, all I did was disabeling the wireless mode, set it to block anonymous requests and to filter multicast. Also opened op some ports I need for some of my programs to acces internet. I have a static IP adres and changing it with my ISP won't do me any good since I have places where I can be found on the internet and always will be. I'm not running a server on my pc and will never to this. I mean I use some p2p progs now and then that act as some kind of server offcourse but nothing serious. Further as I said my windows is up to date with an extra up to date software firewall on it even though this might be unnecescary already having a router in front of it. I don't know what the guy wants, he has never caused any damage on my pc and in fact has only done things that helped me out... How funny this may sound. Yet I don't want anybody on my pc because it is personal and also used for my work. Hope I have given you enough info
    Holy crap! That's crazy!

I've never heard anything like that! All he does is play with your mouse pointer?

How do you know it's a hacker and not something crazy happening with your computer?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    lol yeah...

Well I have kinda lived in let's say an internet community for years so... not that I'm an expert myself. And I know... it's been going on for months.

Just Joined!
    I don't know much about it but there's so many virus and trojan programs that excist for windows, I've never had a virus in my life as far as I know but who knows maybe I have a trojan and my scanner doesn't recognise it which is very well possible. Anyways I want to use a linux system for my internet usage and I'd like to have it as safe as possible. Just don't know which I should choose and what to do with it so it gets hard to acces it. Since it doesn't have to be a server pc open to the internet 24 hours a day I'm hoping on an "easy" solution

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast