Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I am a Linux newbie and have been trying for a week to install a purchased Mandriva 2006 CD/DVD to no avail. My system will boot from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Can boot from cd but can't install...

Hi all,

I am a Linux newbie and have been trying for a week to install a purchased Mandriva 2006 CD/DVD to no avail. My system will boot from the DVD or CD, but after checking hardware stalls at looking for the installation cd or DVD with the message on the screen "disabling irq 22". The kernel messages on the screen look like it can't mount the DVD drive or the CD drive even though it has identified them both and shows them connected to hda and hdb. At one point I was able to get it installed by copying the contents of the DVD to my WinXP HD and pointing the installation to that folder. Once it installed, it still would not recognize either cd or dvd drive.

I'm sure there is a command line syntax I could use to get the program to recognize the optical drives, but being the newbie that I am, I am quite unfamiliar with the necessary verbiage. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much!!!

Hi - I'm curious to know how your hard drives and optical drives are set up on your system. I imagine your motherboard has two channels: one for hard drives and another for optical drives. For example, if you have two hdds they should both be on one channel (attached to the same cable) and if you have two optical drives they should both be on the other cable.

Is this how your computer is set up? It's just an idea ... I think your problem may relate to how your hardware is configured.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    fingal,

my motherboard has two hd controllers onboard. the main controller is part of the intel 975x chipset with the ICH7R southbridge, which has 1-UDMA PATA and 3-SATA with raid capability, and a JMicron JMB363 1-SATA and 1-PATA controller. My primary hard drives are the three 160GB SATA drives, each on their own channel on the ICH7R, and the optical drives on the ICH7R PATA interface. My primary hd has my winxp boot partition, the second 160 is blank ,for the linux partition, and the third is my data drive. The optical drives are connected together on the same cable to the intel PATA interface (I think?!). On bootup, BIOS reports that the optical drives are IDE0 master and slave, IDE1 is the 160G data drive, and IDE2 shows the other two 160's.
    I got the mandriva x64 version loaded once by copying the contents of the DVD to the winxp drive and pointing the install to that folder, and off it went. However, once the system came up running under linux, it still did not recognize the optical drives, and the system was drudgingly slow, like it was running on a 386. So I wiped the drive out and I'm trying again.

I appreciate all your help!!!!

Mike

Looks hard to pin down! I tried a Google search on the IRQ 22 message, and this does seem to crop up quite a lot. Have you tried using an earlier kernel release when you install?

Also, if you manage to install again I think there's a directory called /procs/interrupts which you might want to check ... like this:

cat /procs/interrupts

The principle there is that your system is probably quietly logging errors. /var/log/ is also worth checking.

Sorry for the generic answer, but it's the best I have for this one.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    I appreciate any help as this is all new to me. I'll try a couple of things and see if I can get something going, or go back to what worked before and troubleshoot the slowness after I get it running.

Thanks again fingal!!!

Mike

Just Joined!

sata drive not detected in red hat linux

Hi all,

I am a new user to linux. I got an error that "media test failure:check cable" when start the system. In bios, it not detecting hard disks. I tried with new sata data cable still I am getting same error. I dont know how to solve this error as am a new user. Can anyone help me to solve this problem.

Thankyou.