Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i am a severe newbie to linux. I have recently replaced windows for Mandriva on my woefully out of date compaq laptop... After going through the frustration of loading ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trying to connect to wifi

Hello, i am a severe newbie to linux. I have recently replaced windows for Mandriva on my woefully out of date compaq laptop...

After going through the frustration of loading mandiva on my faulty computer, i finally got it working ok, except for one thing: my wifi card.

First and foremost, i have verified that my wifi card is compatible with Mandriva. Mandriva recognizes my card, however it tells me i need to alter some firmware.I went to the suggested URL and tracked down the required firmware. I downloaded it using my home (windows) computer, then transfered it over to my my Mandriva laptop.

I put the firmware into the correct location, inside the Firmware folder of the lib section of the Computer directory.

Now when i try to set up my wifi card, it gives me a different error message:

"Unable to find network interface for selected device (using acx-pci driver)."

------

I assume this means it couldnt read the firmware file for whatever reason, but im not sure what to do. Ive tried things such as changing the file extension, but that dosent seem to help.

Once again, i would like to thank you for your help and suggestions and also your patience with this humble n00b....

Linux Newbie
    Here's some info re acx firmware, naming and locations - http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Firmware
    Elive,kanotix-mini,pclinuxos super gamer,xp, sidux

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help beagle, i managed to solve my problem.

Feel free to lock this thread

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close