Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently bought a the Loki game Civilization Call to Power The install appeared to go well. I had to install as root due to its requirement to write in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem with loki Civilization game

I recently bought a the Loki game Civilization Call to Power

The install appeared to go well.
    I had to install as root due to its requirement to write in otherwise restricted folders.
    When I start the game with the command
    civctp
    It starts well, plays the opening stuff and goes to the opening menu. From there it accepts changes to the settings. I can select Single Player mode and get that menu fine. But when I try to start a game it falls out with the following message.

civctp: dynamic-link.h:57: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed.

BUG! Assertion failed, cleaning up.
    CivCTP Linux 1.1 Thu Jun 10 19:51:54 PDT 1999
    Built with flags:
    -O2 -funroll-loops -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -g -D_REENTRANT -DPACK=__attribute__ ((packed)) -DCIV3_SPECIES=75 -D_BFR_ -malign-double -D_SDL_STATIC_LIB -DSTATICALLY_LINKED
    Built with glibc-2.1
    Please send the text of the failed assertion,
    along with the contents of autosave to: support@lokigames.com

I have installed the latest loki patches and fixes from Mandriva but the problem remains.

I know that Loki has gone out of business and so cant help. But it appears to me to be just a simple problem of a misdirected dynamic link.

Does anyone know if there is a file I can edit to correct the problem, please.

Hardware
    Athlon 64 3000+
    4096 MB RAM
    Nvidia 128 MB Ti4200
    Creative Audigy 2

Software
    Mandriva 2007 free
    kernel 2.6.17-6
    glibc-2.1
    nvidia 9631-1
    I think my kde is 3.5.4

Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Thank you

Just Joined!

Thumbs up The solution

I always like to publish the solution to let those that helped know how I got on (a thank you), and for the sake of someone not having to go through the same thing in the future.

I downloaded the most recent patches from

http://icculus.org/projects/babelize/ctp.php
    and followed the instructions on that page.

The patches were
    civctp-1.2a-english-unified-x86.run
    civctp-1.2a-english.run
    for me. Though I got an error message with the second one, I have not noticed any problems with the game.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    It proved unnecessary to fix this patch with the loki-patch-fix available from
    http://goldenfiles.sourceforge.net/i...e=lokipatchfix
    And I am in the debt of RHLinuxGUY for that. As it was this that lead me to find the patch.
    There are a couple of patch fixes available for loki games at Mandriva but they are not the ones specific for this game. It is a little difficult to find those now without a central point of reference.
    Thanks to everyone that took an interest.