Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux and was wondering if someone can please explain to me how to install a program. I am trying to install real vnc and also a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing programs

I am new to linux and was wondering if someone can please explain to me how to install a program.
    I am trying to install real vnc and also a dns server (dns2go.com).
    I have been trying to install these programs but I am not having any luck. Please help, Thank you,
    kwdaye

It depends on the distribution you are using.
    This should explain it:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html

Hi - the link above should be really helpful. Once you've set up some repositories (mirror sites) it's just a case of typing:

urpmi package_name

Sometimes people experience problems, but in most cases it's really easy. I would hold back on installing software from source code until you feel more confident with using Linux.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Is all installation in Linux done by a command prompt? Can installation be done using the G.U.I. ( I hate to say this but, "like windows does" ).

Kwdaye

Quote Originally Posted by kwdaye
    Is all installation in Linux done by a command prompt? Can installation be done using the G.U.I. ( I hate to say this but, "like windows does" ).

Kwdaye
    There's no need to use a command prompt for installing new software if you don't want to. I suppose the command prompt is the way I prefer ... That preference has developed over a few years.

Sometimes I forget what it was like to be a new user!

Go ahead and use a GUI if you like. Linux operating systems ship with a wide range of GUI tools. The main difference is that to install / uninstall software on a Linux computer you'll have to enter a password. This is a security measure.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso