Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi.... i have installed the mandriva 2007 on my sys.....itseems that my urpmi isnt workin properly......i did as specified in sticky.....but i get the command... [root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi mplayerplugin no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

how to use urpmi.....!!!

hi....

i have installed the mandriva 2007 on my sys.....itseems that my urpmi isnt workin properly......i did as specified in sticky.....but i get the command...

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi mplayerplugin
    no package named mplayerplugin

and even the same output with the other commands......

i have a nvidia geforce mx 4000 grafix card....
    i downloaded the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com but it asks that i need a kernel source....seems that mandiva 2007 hasnt provided the kernel source in the free cd....so can any one help me out in installin the nvidia divers

plzzzzzzzzzz........!!!!!!!! help in sortin out the problem of installin the grafix card drivers and the use of urpmi........so that i can download the necessary softwares...........

thanx in advance........!!!!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Do you have the contrib repo setup? If not, go to easyurpmi and setup the main, contrib, plf and updates repos. After that do
    Code:
    #urpmi mplayerplugin
    For the kernel-source, do
    Code:
    #urpmi kernel-source
    You will see a list of kernel-source packages, select the one that matches the version of the kernel you are running.

Linux Newbie
    i tried the way u said me......but i get

[root@localhost Desktop]# urpmi kernel-source
    no package named kernel-source

plzzzzz forum engineers help me......this urpmi doesnt wok at all........

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Are you connected to the net and did you setup the online repos as mentioned above. What is the output of doing,
    Code:
    #urpmq ––list-media

Just Joined!
    http://urpmi-addmedia.org/index2.php

http://seerofsouls.com/2007.html

These are places where you can add media sources reliably.

Please refrain from "Cooker"!

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

I use http://www.mandrivauser.de/smarturpmi/ because it will also package your selection in a .sh file for convenience. But remember to enter the following command in a console as root
    urpmi.removemedia -a
    before any new ones are added.

But you seem to have enough answers on this already.
    I responded over the kernel and source with nVidia problem.
    I have an nVidia Ti4200.
    1. The 2.6.17.6 kernel that comes with the distro is out of date with some important fixes on later issues.
    2. I have never found a kernel for 2.6.17.6 with a good signature - but I could have been unlucky.
    3. I have installed and used the nVidia driver 9631-1 with both 2.6.17.7 and 2.6.17.8 with total success.

kernel-2.6.17.8mdv-1-1mdv2007.0
    kernel-source-2.6.17.8mdv-1-1mdv2007.0

But I am curious as to why you do not use the Control Centre to install. It works fine after urpmi changes (and you can check those changes). And best of all, once you have a viable kernel and source installed and have booted up using those, it will install the nVidia driver without all that changing to run level 3 and stuff. Just make sure you follow the instructions that come at the end of installation.