Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am completely new to Linux, and want a fair evaluation of the system (at least one version). Having read many forums and general documentation concerning Linux versions, I decided ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to run/install Mandriva One 2007

I am completely new to Linux, and want a fair evaluation of the system (at least one version). Having read many forums and general documentation concerning Linux versions, I decided to try a free version. I downloaded Mandriva-One-2007-free-gnome with Bittorent. It downloaded three files:

1. mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome (appears in Windows as a RAR file)
    2. mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.sha1.asc
    3. mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.md5.asc

The Mandriva site stated that this program could be run to its entirty by cd, however I do not even know what do burn to the cd. When I try and extract the main RAR (zip) file, it gives me three folders: boot, isolinux & loopbacks. Within these folders there are a few files but none of which I know anything about.

If there is anyone who can help me it would be appreciated. Also if there is an other super beginner version that anyone could suggest over this one, I am willing to try anything. I just dont want to incur much cost for evaluation.

Thanks,
    JP

This is a common mistake.

The important file is mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.iso. The fact that it is associated with Winrar doesn't mean it is a .rar file. It certainly isn't meant to be extracted.

Just use any CD burning program (like Nero), choose "burn CD image" and select the file "mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.iso".

Also, you probably want to download mandriva-one-2007-gnome instead of mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome. It has a lot more feature. The first CD is enough :
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaone
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Does this mean that I should burn all three files to a cd? If so, then why would it not boot from my removeable usb drive when so configured in my bios?

burn .iso image only. if you burn it as image and your BIOS supports booting up from USB, Mandriva will boot up. other two files are to verify downloaded .iso image.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First