Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by envirocbr I am sorry I could not resist the title of this thread "Windows Not working" What did you expect? its a Dual Boot problem and Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by envirocbr
    I am sorry I could not resist the title of this thread "Windows Not working"

What did you expect?
    its a Dual Boot problem and Windows is not booting up coz of GRUB only. i dont think you can find GRUB solution in Windows Forums.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    i agree wingruntled
    ehm...you chose Windows logo as Avatar in LinuxForums !!!

Casper
    Casper
    Look a little closer at my avatar. Upside-down Backwards and a negative of the original.

Look a little closer at my avatar. Upside-down – Backwards and a negative of the original.
    haha ! how could i miss that? i must say its a unique avatar.

Casper

Just Joined!

ls /boot/grub

after typing ls /boot/grub:

mdv-grub_splash.xpm.gz_____menu.lst.example___splash.xpm.gz

We all know windows sucks now lets not carry on with why it sucks. That is neither here nor there.

hi hunterway !

are you booting up from Mandriva Live CD? if you machine displays GRUB screen at startup, then menu.lst file must be in /boot/grub folder.

Casper

Just Joined!
    I am not booting using the Mandrive Live cd. I have Mandriva installed onto the harddrive. Ive been using the shell to find out things. I dont know if that is the GRUB. In the multi-loader screen i chose Linux. Secondly the shell does pop up when linux starts. I checked the /boot/grub folder and the there files I told you about were there, no menu.lst file.

Thanks for the responses.

is it possible for you to take the screenshot of startup screen and post here?

Casper

Just Joined!
    Hunter
    I was looking closer at your partitions and they don't add up. Did your machine come with XP installed originally or did it have 98se or ME and you upgraded to XP?
    The reason I ask is because of the NTFS partition /hda6 and you have a Linux partition before that /hda5

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingruntled
    Hunter
    I was looking closer at your partitions and they don't add up. Did your machine come with XP installed originally or did it have 98se or ME and you upgraded to XP?
    The reason I ask is because of the NTFS partition /hda6 and you have a Linux partition before that /hda5
    Well XP came with laptop. I formatted about 2 months ago put XP pro on. Before that i converted h/d from fat32 to NTFS. I put the Windows on my D partition. I was planning on puttin Linux on C. hoping this wouldnt cause nothing bad. I also tried a re-install with linux without formatting I think this caused another partition im not sure.

AS for the Screen shot that could be a problem. I live in rural area and cant access internet with my computer with linux until I go to school and bring it which is tomorrow. So hopefully i can get wireless there or wired somewhere with Linux. But im kind of glad there is a problem with Windows because this is a funner way to learn Linux instead of pointless hobbies. HAHAHA!

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Just Joined!
    Hunter
    Oh I see what is going on now. You have two complete versions of windows on your machine but neither of them are set to be an active partiton so they won't boot. Instead you have the Compaq diag as active which most likely is a read-only win98 partition that originally redirected to boot to the EXT partition (hda3) into the original XP which appears to be on a fat32 EXT partition. You may be better off booting from the live cd and deleteing all the Linux&swap partions.
    Also the NTFS partition (XP pro) and then re install XP pro over the top of the original XP. THAT IS IF YOU HAVE THE XP pro CD's . You can convert the fat32 partition to NTFS after XP pro is installed (the converter is none destructive) so you should not loose any of your original stuff on C:.
    After you get XP Pro installed and running make sure to do a defrag. Then you should be able to install Linux again with no problem.
    Wipe out the ones in red. and make sure you have a 98 boot floppy handy just in case.
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 383 3076416 12 Comaq diagnostics
    /dev/hda3 384 9729 75071745 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 384 769 3100513+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 5057 9729 37535841 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda7 770 1278 4088511 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hda8 1279 2297 8185086 83 Linux
    /dev/hda9 2298 5056 22161636 83 Linux

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast