Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed my 1st linux OS, Mandrake 9.2, on an old PIII 550MHz system. The machine restarts fine, but when I shut it down it goes into a loop. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.2 Shutdown loop

I just installed my 1st linux OS, Mandrake 9.2, on an old PIII 550MHz system. The machine restarts fine, but when I shut it down it goes into a loop. The last 3 things it says is:
    Unmounting File systems
    Unmounting proc file system
    Halting System

Then jibberish such as this repeats indefinitely:

[<c4834000>]__kallsyms+0xbd0/0x3ac9 [usbcore]

ad infinitum

How do I attack this problem. Where do I start? Or has anyone seen anything like this

don
    Linux Newbie
    i think some usb device is giving you trouble... what devices(USB) do u have attached to your system??

the _kallsyms is a function that extracts the kernel symbols for debugging.
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

Just Joined!
    I have nothing(nor have I ever) plugged into the USB ports. I just have the USB ports on the mother board and that is it. Where is a log of the shutdown at?

Is Kalsyms useful to me or is it for more advanced users?

Just Joined!
    I assure you it is not a USB device causing this. When I push the power button it freezes the screen and I just happened to write that line down in the first post (because I can't copy and paste). Since then I have shut down the computer many times and the other 10000 lines seem to have absolutely nothing to do with a USB device.

How does one attack a problem like this. I have googled this problem to death and searched Linux forums all over the web. Please help!

Linux Newbie

approach

I think you should take a look at the shutdown order of things.
    I must say it seems weird, that it goes all the way to powerdown and then starts spurting out jibberish....

try looking at the rc scripts and see what you can find I suppose...
    if you could post your whole startup and shutdown log it would be nice =)

gl

//ooop

Recompile you kernel without usbcore (or any usb support at all). That is the culprit.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mandrake 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 all have power dower down bugs, the way I was able to clear the bugs from 9.0 and 9.1 ( never bothered to use 9.2 ) was to reinstall useing the install option, then picked the packages to load ( not the pre-picked Mandrake packages ) . I do not know what it is, but no matter how I loaded the first install it came up buggy. After the second install over the top of the first one, everything works great, except for the KDE screensaver bug. Give it a try

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I have tried that now. For some reason when I manually pick the rpms I want I get all sorts of errors on installation (fails 2/3 the way through). I guess this shutdown loop really isn't that big of a deal since linux in theory never should need shutting down! Thanks for letting me know others have had this problem though!

Oh goof! did you also do the online software updates? Bug fixes and standard updates only the down size of those alone is over 100 meg and that is a lot of bug and update fixes. I did not even down load the security updates, just too much stuff. Then I did the re-install thing and things for the first time worked. logout, shutdown works, logout restart works, stays up 24/7 now ( it would crap all over it's self in less then 24 hours ). So no, you are not alone about this.

Matter of fact I have been running Mandrake since 6.0, on pretty much the same old 333 Pent II and I have had more trouble running these 9 distros than anything I ever loaded from the early ones. So if you have not done the updates, do them and try the install again.

have fun