Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I use Mandriva 2007, and after I changed my password (in KDE, as far as I remember), I cannot login at all at startup! Not the old nor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changed password (KDE), now cannot login at all!

Hi there,
    I use Mandriva 2007, and after I changed my password (in KDE, as far as I remember), I cannot login at all at startup! Not the old nor the new password, and I've tried every possible variant. Quite unbelievable.
    Any advice?
    Best regards,
    Alex

Hi alexbo, welcome to the forum.

Can you still log in as root? Take your Internet connection down (just as a paranoid precaution), then from KDM log in as root, (I'm presuming you can still do this in Mandriva), and from the command line run:
    Code:
    kuser
    Find your username and input your password again, save and close. Log out as root and retry logging in as regular user with the exact password you just entered in to kuser. That should do it. If not, there is something else amiss...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    When you get to the login screen, do CTRL-ALT-F1 and at the command line, enter your user name and new password. If you can login, then it means that the problem is probably not related to the change of password. If you keep getting errors, login as root and do
    Code:
    #passwd username
    That will help you set a new password for the user.

Just Joined!
    Actually, I cannot log in at all at startup when it asks for user name and password! Thank you for your interest. I'll try daark.child's suggestion in the next reply.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan

Can you still log in as root? Take your Internet connection down (just as a paranoid precaution), then from KDM log in as root, (I'm presuming you can still do this in Mandriva), and from the command line run:
    Code:
    kuser
    Find your username and input your password again, save and close. Log out as root and retry logging in as regular user with the exact password you just entered in to kuser. That should do it. If not, there is something else amiss...

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a HowTo for resetting root or user password that should help you get things going again:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-password.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar
    Here's a HowTo for resetting root or user password that should help you get things going again:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-password.html
    (Almost with tears in my eyes) It worked, and so simply! At startup, at the choice between linux and failsafe, I chose the latter. Some scripting begins, ending with something about single user mode, and at a prompt starting with 'sh(something)' I wrote 'passwd' to change root password and 'passwd (username)' to change user password.

Worth a million!

Alex