Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wanting to know why my computers net is so slow after a new install with Firefox and the other browser. Is there a way to "defrag" Linux like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux with questions

I was wanting to know why my computers net is so slow after a new install with Firefox and the other browser. Is there a way to "defrag" Linux like you can with Windows? How in the hell do I get another browser on there like Opera?

I reinstalled Windows back on my laptop and I wanted to know how to get a dual boot. I know I have to get partition magic. Could someone make sense of this for me?

Linux doesn't need a defrag, the file systems used are defraged each time you save a file or use the fs at all.
    Toget Opera just go to its page and download the Mandriva rpm, then use something like this to install it
    rpm -ivh opera-mdv_9.01.rpm

Dual booting is very simple, you just need to leave some space free (without partitions) during Windows install or shrink Windows' partition to make some room. then just pop the cd and make it use the free space. The dual boot will be create by default.
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

I recommend Gparted over partition magic any day of the week.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    How can I make the net faster? I have a cable connection that is 4 megs a sec. and it take forever to load pages... Please help! If I can not fix this I am going to go back to Windows.

Post the output of ifconfig.
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!
    I tried the ifconfig after [davey@localhost ~]$ and it says
    bash: ifconfig: command not found

Try typing "su" command first.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!
    I posted it and nobody helped

Just Joined!
    You posted what?

ifconfig works as a super user only. Are you totally new to linux? You might want to learn a few basics before you start posting tons of help requests.

the "$" prompt shows that you're a regular user and "#" prompt shows super user.

Open a konsole, type "su" and enter, when propmted enter the system password and this will get you the superuser prompt. Then type "ifconfig" and enter.

kikwear...
    what they meant was this:
    open a terminal window
    type "su" and enter password.
    type "ifconfig lo" this will give you your "loopback interface", usually 127.0.0.1(this is good, it means you can see yourself locally).
    type "ifconfig eth0" this will show what your ethernet/NIC card is doing and all the parameters that it is set to.

hope this helps.(dont get discouraged!)